“Ow! Stop throwing things at me!” he said, pretending to pout. My eyes zoomed in on his lips and I couldn’t help but stare at them for a little longer than necessary.  My stupid need for lightning had my emotions all over the place!

“You know kitten, you don’t have to stare. Come here, let me give you a kiss!” he said, puckering his lips and running towards me with his hands held out. I screeched and ran away.

“Get your lips away from me! Who knows where they’ve been! Probably on some harlots mouth!” I yelled, ducking behind the couch and peeking my head out as he stood on the either side of it. I stood up holding onto the couch, my body swaying from side to side as I got ready to bolt.

“Hey! Don’t say that about Cherry! She’s a nice lady! And who the hell still says harlot?” he laughed, before lithely springing over the couch and capturing me in his grasp.

“I say harlot you pompous prick! Ewww! Get it away from me! Cooties!” I yelled, trying to move my face away from his lips. He puckered them up ridiculously making silly face at me. He dramatically leaned forward and gave m a sloppy kiss on the cheek.

“What are you British now too? Pompous prick? Hah!”

I tried wriggling my hands to wipe it off. “You’re a really ass do you know that?” I huffed. He simply chuckled, picking me up and hopping onto the couch before settling me in his lap. A small part of me liked this treatment the bigger part however wanted to rip his fucking head off. Dammit, I needed some lightning soon.

He smiled snuggling his face in my neck and he started...purring?

“Are you fucking purring?” I asked, shocked and slightly amused. He stopped and looked at me.

“I’m a panther, ergo I’m a part of the cat family. Therefore I purr. Don’t judge the purring, darling.” He muttered before he continued nuzzling my neck in an affectionate way. I sighed and decided to poke some fun at Calyx.

“Do you want a ball of yarn Calyx? Hmm? A cute little squeaky toy? Some catnip?” I asked, giggling madly. He bit down on my ear and I yelped. “What was that for?!” I asked indignantly, trying to wiggle away from his grasp to smack him.

“You were emasculating me. My panther and I did not appreciate it,” he murmured before closing his eyes and nuzzling me again, his purring soft, almost comforting. I sighed, my wings twitching in my back before I settled myself down in Calyx’s grasp. His legs were crossed and I was seated right in the middle of them. He held tightly onto me, as if he was afraid I was going to disappear.

Everything was quiet for a few moments, apart from Calyx’s purring and my soft breathing. His black hair was tickling my neck and his hands were warm on mine, they dwarfed them. It was rather weird how we settled into this calm state. I guess it has always been like this. I’ve never heard Calyx purring before, I guess he was too frightened to do so in the facility. He never told me what they did to him when he was taken to the testing room. He always used to come back, wide eyed and quiet. He wouldn’t let me go near him during the duration after. I tried to once, but he puffed out his back and hissed at me. I figured his panther was in control and not him. However late he would crawl towards me and hold me close. We were lucky we were put in the same cell together.

Shifters were weird things. I understood how the werewolves came to be, but Calyx was a different story. He was rare, special. You do get shifter lions and tigers as well as cougars, not many but there are a few. However panthers are unheard of. Yet here he is; the last of his species...just like me.

“Calyx, why are you here?” I asked softly. He sighed, pulling me up closer towards him.

“I heard through the grapevine an angel was living in these parts. I had reason to believe it was you. So I decided that I needed to come back to you. I still remember that day when I left you. The hurt in your eyes almost made me stop. I just, I just couldn’t kitten. I had to leave, I was going to come back for you. In fact. I did.” His voice was soft, velvety even.