Thirteen

Hey DreamTeam 👋🏾😍 Y'all responded so fast! Comment Goal is 40 for the next chapter. This one is nice and long like y'all think them (not an innuendo for all you dirty minded folk)

Anyways, happy reading DreamTeam 😘

Imani's POV

I sighed bring the last plate out and placing it on the table. I called my sister to come over, and help me get everything together for my parents but of course she flaked on me. I grabbed the serving spoons making sure to check on everything. This has to be perfect for my parents.

"Auntie Mani!" Jaylen yelled running over to me.

"Hey you." I said pulling him to me.

"You cooked all this?" Andre asked side hugging me.

"Yeah." I sighed. "I had no one else to help." I shrugged.

"Your sister told me she was sorry. She had a bridal party." He informed me and I nodded.

"It's cool, I understand." I said knowing she had finally picked up a heavier set of people and based her clientele.

"Yeah, where mom and dad?" Andre asked.

"Should be on their way. How bout you call em?" I said.

He nodded pulling his cellphone out of his pocket as I took Jaylen to the kitchen.

"Jay man you want to try some?" I asked him.

"of what?" He asked his head popping up off my chest fast.

"Of cake." I said.

"Mommy doesn't like me eating sweets before dinner."

"It's just a small taste, it's my first time making it and I want you to try it." I said.

He looked worried, and then nodded a little hesitant.

"Thank you," I said kissing his cheek grabbing him a small slither of the buttered pound cake I made.

"How is it?" I asked after plucking off a piece for him to put in his mouth.

"It's real good Auntie!" He said.

I grinned. "Well, I'm glad you like it. That's enough for now after dinner you can finish it." I said and he nodded.

"Go wash your hands man, I will be with you a bit. Cool?" I asked him.

"Yup." He said and left out of the door.

I grabbed all of the things I needed from the kitchen and left out.

"How did you have time to-"

"It's Friday." I said.

"And you made Mac and Cheese, Yams, Black eyed peas, collard greens, potato salad, fried ocra and cornbread. Then you got fried chicken and fish."

"And I have some ribs, I baked them but I put em' on the grill real quick, you know to get that charcoal taste. Matter of a fact let me go-"

"Imani-" he shook his head hearing the doorbell ring.

"Go get that please?" I asked him.

"who is it?" He asked.

"Probably Auntie Debbie and Uncle L." I said.

"Okay." He said and went to the front.

My mother, when ever my father got out of the hospital always had my family over to have dinner and celebrate him coming out. She believed that family being together was most important.