Chapter 75: The Bright And The Dark

Start from the beginning

Alex stared at the angered boy as each accusing sentence began burying itself into his subconscious. Kaito noticed the unwanted attention and assumptions he needed to avoid, "Jin, let go of the knife and we'll talk upstairs." The boy seemed reluctant to follow the order, but did as he was requested as he urged for answers. As the blade clattered to the ground, Jin kept on staring at Kaito as he attempted to unravel what the boy was implying. "Alex, let him go." The male in question sent Kaito a suspicious glare before releasing the dormant boy.

Kaito beaconed for him to follow as he began making his way to the second floor. As the pair ascended, they were stared after by the two boys that chose to remain at the ground level.

Ryo distractedly walked around the corridors as his indecisiveness became the thing that hindered his courage to approach the girl. His feet seemed to stop by their own accord as he neared her room. After spending a few minutes of mental preparation, he began to confidently stride towards the female's area with an optimistic smile and high spirits.

'That's right! I'll visit my angel and try to comfort her in her time of need! I need to bring that beautiful smile back!' However, as his steps brought him closer to the girl, his positive exterior and aura seemed to plummet with each heartbeat. The cheered smile began to disappear into a dreaded frown and his bright eyes lost the spark that was holding him together, up to the point where he was immobilised near the threshold of the doorway. His arms began shaking as he stood still on the spot and his vision blurred into a swirling pattern before his eyes. Ryo backed away a few steps, seeming like the atmosphere itself was trying to drown him out in his shamed guilt.

The boy took a few shaky paces back before finally allowing his knees to bend, letting him fall into a stricken and disheartened position. He glanced down his quivering palms as his mind created illusions of a delicate throat wrapped in his fingers. He forced himself to shake the bad thoughts away and took a moment to gather the last bit of composure left in him.

'(Y/n)...how will I hold you again with these bloody hands...?' He propped his head against one knee in a deep state of discouraging contemplation, allowing the artificial lighting of the corridor lamps to glare down at him like a scolding minister. 'You'll never look at me the same way again. You'll never forgive me for what I've done...you'll never be the same towards me...'

"Oberon, no! I need this, don't try and take it away!" Ryo's half-conscious form made him lift his head at the sound of a familiar voice that had been both the bane and fulfilment of his existence. "O-Oberon, look, look! I'm holding this as well, right? This is your priority now." A few small barks were heard from the door.

'(Y/n)...' The girl's vocals echoed in his empty mind, forcing his motor functions to work by themselves as he halfheartedly lifted himself up from his slumped posture. He began making his slow approach towards the voice, receiving it as a guide. As his subconscious stopped his mind from registering his surroundings and refusing to allow him the energy to become self-aware, he dragged his half-lucid state towards the door.

"Look, look! I'm holding onto this now! You want this, right...? Yep, there we go..." The female breathed a sigh of relief as the large animal proudly trotted his way out of the door to lay a glass paperweight on the ground.

Ryo distractedly gazed at the dog before turning his head to the side to receive a view of satisfied looking female. As (Y/n) sighed in contempt at successfully saving the sliding puzzle in hand, she chose to glance towards the dog's way, only to slightly jump as she spots the male that lounged at the doorway. As they made eye contact, Ryo seemed to be shoved back into reality as he remained at a standoff with the surprised girl.

Ryo absorbed a large gulp of breath before jumping back and standing as straight and as a pole as his mind raced with scolding profanities. His muscles became clenched as his heart dared not make a beat out of paranoid fear of being discovered again. "Ryo...is that you?" The boy gulped at his uncover as his instincts began darting through his body as he searched for a common senses response to the situation.