Chapter 40: Phone Call

Tuesday, September 29th

"(Y/n), are you sure you don't want us to stay here with you for the day?" Saki groaned at her friend for the hundredth time.

"You asked me this yesterday and the answer is still 'no.' I'm not gonna make you guys stay here with me. Plus, it'll just look suspicious if you girls don't go, I'll be safe here." The tomboy irritatingly sighed at the denial and received a light hit on the head from her sister.

"Don't mind her, she's just looking for any excuse to say at home." (Y/n) chuckled at the truth of the statement while Saki blushed with embarrassment.

"You guys have done enough for me. Besides, I feel comfortable knowing that I'm not bothering you girls with anything." The pair were about to object to the claim when they heard their mother calling them down.

"(Y/n), you'll be all alone in the house. You know that right?" The girl nodded, remembering that the sisters' parents were taking the day shift in their jobs. It was a difficult task on explaining to the two adults that the female had come over for a sleepover, but despite the sceptical looks they received, they weren't questioned further on the matter.

"By the way, where's Kenzan?" Lala gave an awakened smile while Saki  quickly left the room, forcing her sister on the spot to explain.

"He had to meet up with someone out of town to sort out the whole 'anonymous e-mail' thing. He'll be back in a few days so don't worry." (Y/n) nodded, relieved that he'll stay safe and out of the problems that were surrounding her for a while. "Anyway, remember: take anything you want from the fridge, the surveillance cameras are working so you'll be ok if you stay in the house. If you want anything just text us and we'll see you after school." The female prepared to leave until (Y/n) called her back with a warning tone.

"You have the doctor's note right?" The blond held up the forged record that would excuse the (h/c) haired girl's absence from school. "Honestly, I don't know how Saki finds the people to do these, but as far as the school is concerned -you're down with a terrible cold.- see ya (Y/n)!" The girl gave a final wave and closed the door to leave her friend on her own.

The female sighed and looked out of the window to see the two older parents departing from their children to go to work, and the twins soon leaving the scene after that. (Y/n) leaned against the pillows on the bed and hugged one of the plush animals Lala was in possession of. She contemplated over going downstairs and watching something on the television to kill time or use the computer. However, she also felt much more at comfort under the watchful walls of her friends' room and began reciting what she might say to her parents when they come back from their business. She still had 3 more weeks and she knew the group of boys would scout her out by then. 'Could I really stay safe here for the whole time...?' She looked down at the conventional clothes she was given to borrow and grinned to herself at the kindness and tenderness she was being treated with. 'Though, I guess it wouldn't hurt if I enjoy it while I can.'

Begging for absolution was was unnecessary with the two and they seemed more than happy to accommodate her at a time like this. The female finally concluded on getting up and wandering around the empty house to find some source of entertainment. However, she couldn't find the mood to watch television or play computer games so she ended up scavenging around to distract herself. As she passed one of the corridors on the first floor, she was stopped at the sight of the laundry room. On top of the washing machine were her ripped up and dirtied clothes that she had to strip off that morning and switch into the cleaner garments. She shivered slightly at the memory and took steps on leaving the scene when a loud sound broke through the silence. It startled the female and she looked around to see where the origin of noise was until she realised it was coming from inside the laundry room. She entered the small space and approached her messy clothes to notice the buzzing sounds emitting from them. After a moment of hesitation, she reprehensible looked amongst the fabric to discover where the racket was coming from. She began trembling slightly when she conceived it to be the phone Kaito had given her. She had completely forgotten about it until now.