Chapter 27

Chapter 27

Twins Birthday!

I woke up with a pounding headache. I sat up and groaned, putting a hand to my head. What happened last night? The last I remember, I was standing with Marco talking with his friends.

"Does your head hurt?" Marco asked. I looked up to see him sitting at my desk. "Need aspirin?"

"Yes please."

Marco left and came back with a glass of water and the bottle of aspirin. He handed them to me. He sat on the bed next to me while I took two pills.

"What happened last night?" I asked Marco.

"You got drunk. The punch was spiked."

"I thought it tasted weird. Was I complicated?"

"You were like a child. A little annoying."

"I'm sorry."

"It wasn't your fault."
"So where are the twins?"

"Your mom took them to the store with her. She figured they might be too noisy for you today."

"She was right."

After a while, we went downstairs. I made a sandwich since it was 12:15 in the afternoon. My dad was sitting on the couch reading the paper.

"What do you want to do today?" Marco asked me.

"I want to stay away from loud noises."

"Can we stay upstairs?"

"Sure, but why?"

"Your dad is pissed at me for letting you get drunk. He let me have it this morning. That's why I was upstairs when you woke up. I was avoiding him."

"But it wasn't your fault. Don't let him get to you."

"I'm not. He just blames me for everything. He's always going to hate me. I don't know what else to do to get him to like me."

"Just give him more time."

Marco and I laid in my bed, my head resting on his chest. It's so quiet in the house. Ms. Ramirez has moved out, my dad is reading the paper, my mom took the twins to the store with her, and Andy barely ever leaves his room.

"Can you believe we graduate in 3 months?" I said. "Time is just sneaking up on us. It's actually moving too fast. I'm a little scared to move out and live on my own. I've lived with my parents all my life. Now I'll have to fend for myself."

"You have me and the twins. There's no need to be scared. You have me so you won't have to fend for yourself."

"I haven't even gotten any letters from the colleges I'm trying to get into. Does that mean I didn't get into any?"

"Give it time. There's no way you couldn't have been accepted. You're super smart and get straight A's. Isn't that what colleges look for?"

"I guess. It's just weird that they haven't sent me any letters when school is over in 3 months."

"The twins will be 1 year olds in 2 months."

"That's approaching fast too. Do you think we should give them a party?"

"If it's not a big one."

"It would only be our friends."

"Then I should be able to afford it."

April

Tomorrow is Easter and we plan on giving the twins their first piece of chocolate. I'm supposed to wait until they're a year old, but they turn 1 next month. Two more months before school is out, and I still haven't gotten any letters from the colleges I applied to.