Task Five - The Delivery - Females

Vilxen - Alenaia Vilxen

When I was younger - fourteen, I think - my first employer was the grumpy old man responsible for the barn owls that were used as our messengers. I was to care for them, feed them, and make sure they all stayed perfectly healthy, as they might be called to carry messages for us at any time. When an owl died, their worth was taken off my pay check and I was to bury them in the frozen ground behind the barn, which proved to be quite a difficult task.

One day, when my brother, who must have been eleven at the time, came to help, he ended up causing an accidental uproar. Atlas has always been loud: he either speaks loudly or makes just as much noise while laughing. Either way, the owls didn't appreciate it and began to swarm around him, pecking and scratching his skin. It didn't take much reflexion for me to throw myself over him, letting the creatures attack me instead as I tried to calm my brother and his frantic tears. I remember, he used to look up to me, like I was his protector.

But as much as it pains me, I can't protect him now; I'm competing against him. All I can do is focus my own work and secretly hope he accomplishes his correctly as well.

I'm slightly surprised that I'm the first to head to the Palace's barn for the item (it is the creature's name, after all), but there are exactly seven of them in there, meaning none of the others have stopped by yet. I freeze and stick my hand out, looking away as I wait for the bird to land on my hand; when I tamed them, I quickly learned it was key to seem confident and not pressure them while taming the owls.

It doesn't take long before I feel a weight on my hand and wince slightly in pain as he creature's talons settle on my hand. It looks to me, I nod, and we both head towards the door. "How'd you like Bowie for a name?" I ask, and it blinks, as if approving my choice.

As I head out the door, I almost bump into Atlas, who's trembling and seems like he's about to cry. I want to comfort him, I do, but I've only got four hours to find the Eastgate Menagerie. So instead, I give him what little advice I can, cursing myself at how cold my tone seems: "Don't show them you're scared. They'll trust you if you're quiet and trust them."

As soon as I say this, I head out the door, willing my head not to look back; ever since the Challenge has been announced, I've not been able to talk to him properly. He tries to, but even he struggles, and he's always been the social, likeable one between us. I almost hope we both lose, just so we can go back to normal and be equals.

Almost.

I've never experienced anything quite like walking the streets of Aurum's seat. We may have market days, back on Mount Nelige, but even those aren't as crowded as today, where it's practically impossible to move without accidentally bumping into somebody - it drives Bowie crazy, but he thankfully stays on my shoulder, where he is now perched. Though I always thought myself to be poised and agile, I must be mumbling apologies at a mile a minute. I'm tempted to ask a civilian for help, but remember that Alithia said they are more likely to be a hindrance than a help and it was better to follow my common sense.

My common sense tells me to ask and hope they don't hinder for too long before they help.

Gently, I tap the shoulder of the man in front of me, an older gentleman who needs a cane to advance but moves with determination and confidence, as if he knows the entire city perfectly. "I'm sorry to bother you, but could you tell me the way to the Eastgate Menagerie, please? I'm not exactly a local and I'm meant to deliver this owl here," I point to Bowie, "but I can't even tell which direction I'm walking in. I thought the sun could help, but it's so cloudy I cannot see it!"