Task Four - The Thief - Males

Vilxen - Atlas Vilxen

Innocent or guilty.

Two simple words, yet as I sit at the desk and wait for my first case to arrive I fear them more than ever. Just the idea of changing someone's life with one word frightens me, and my nervousness is only increased by Alithia's presence behind me. Yet, despite my nervousness I can still manage a cocky smile, and by the look in Alithia's eyes when I turn back towards her it seems to be perfectly believable.

However, my smile falters when the first case walks in and for a moment I hear what I believe is a small giggle of amusement from Alithia. It's a young boy, only a few years younger than myself. One of the men who lead him inside hands me a paper, and as I silently read it to myself all I feel is pity.

Of course, being a Vilxen I am intelligent enough to realize that pity will just interfere. I cannot let any silly emotions clog my vision from now on.

As I struggle to push away the fog of sympathy, for the first time I take a look at the young boy. He's an Osmont for sure, and though I still do not understand his actions I see why. The kindness of an Osmont can possibly be their biggest downfall.

I'm not sure if it's the fact that someone's life is in my hands now or if it's Alithia standing behind me, but some combination of the two has my heart pounding harder than ever before. It's as if they want me to mess up, want to prove that I'm not worthy to be an Heir.

Of course, as I think about it now I know that's not true. I reached the summit of Mount Reveste. I risked my life for a girl I could never forgive.

If I can do that, I sure as hell can make one simple decision.

My familiar cocky smile worms it's way back onto my face, and a tsunami of confidence rushes through me. It almost frightens the boy, and for a moment his bright eyes flicker with fear.

The thought of me scaring anyone makes me want to laugh out loud, but I have enough common sense to realize that laughing would possibly ruin my chances at becoming an Heir. Instead, I relax my smile and try not to look so intimidating, which Alithia does not seem to approve of.

Yet I keep doing it, and for the first time since entering this room the boy in front of me smiles. A small, shy smile but a smile.

The cloud of compassion comes back, but this time I don't stop it. Sometimes, to make the right decisions one must feel compassion.

"We are not so crude as to kill our own people," I begin, directly quoting Pandora. Alithia looks somewhat impressed and confused at the same time, and the boy before me smiles. "So, I have decided to strike a deal."

"What kind of deal?" The boy's first words since he's entered the room hang in the air for a good thirty seconds before I reply, making sure to formulate my words perfectly.

"I shall give you a choice. You can either take the one year and leave your mother alone," I say, explaining the standard sentence. "Or, you can go in for two and your mother will receive help. Not enough to fully heal her of course, but enough to keep her alive until your return."

I do not even need to ask his answer. The look of relief that paints itself across his bright face says it all. Alithia's face is simply emotionless, and even though I know that could possibly be a bad thing I cannot help but be proud of myself.

The last glance I saw of the boy was a smile on his face, and for once I actually believe that I could be a Vilxen after all.

-

"You know, this is harder than I thought."

Alone together for the first time since we had arrived, Alenaia and I stroll around together around the palace gardens. Even though it is about midday, all I can think of is the glow of the silver moonlight and flickering candlelight from the night by the river.