Chapter 6: New Kind of Normal

Kye

Jake didn't call for 3 whole days! I believed that he would never call after just 2. I became very frustrated and even began believing that Jake just helped me in hope of getting sex. But deep down, I knew that was untrue. Jake had seemed so sweet and sincere, like the kind of boy you're not nervous to bring home for dinner.

Tommy had called the day after the party asking why I had ditched him. I proceeded to tell him that I figured he had his hands full with Miss Strawberry Shortcake. After I made that comment, I was met with silence on the other end of the phone. So I used it as an opportunity to say that I would never go out with him again and that, for future reference, if you no longer want to go out with a girl, you should tell her, instead of cheating on her with some chick you find at a party.

Even Mom and Dad had noticed a change in my behavior. If I kept to myself before, I was practically dead and buried now. I refused to talk to anyone. I was suffering because I thought that two guys had flat out rejected me.

But long behold, 3 days later, Jake called. I didn't recognize the number, so I was a little leery about answering my phone. However, I was tremendously glad I did. "Hello." "Hi. Is this Kye?" "Yeah. Who is this?" I thought that it was Jake, but I didn't want to get my hopes up. "It's Jake. Do you remember me? We met at the party the other night?" I broke into a huge grin. "Of course I remember you!" I laughed. "Jake, I didn't even take the one wine cooler you tried giving me." Jake laughed, the sound warm and inviting. "How have you been? I would have called sooner, but I went camping with my family. I didn't get cell service there." "I'm doing good. How are you?" There was a slight pause. "I am good, but I would be doing even better if you would agree to go on a date with me on Friday night." I didn't respond but instead glanced at my calendar on my wall, trying to find the date. "I really enjoyed talking to you at the party, and I would like to get to know you better," Jake continued. "Of course," he started, when I still hadn't answered. "If you are still. Seeing that guy, it's fine." "No, I would like to go on a date with you. I was just looking at my calendar. What time did you have in mind? I have a softball game this Friday from 4-6." "How about I pick you up at 7? We can grab a bite to eat after your game. I would love to watch you play, but I have some things to help my dad with until about 6:30." "That sounds great," I responded, trying not to let on how excited this date actually made me. "Awesome! Would you mind if I call you back later so we can talk? I have to go eat dinner." "No. That will be perfect." "Okay. Nice talking to you. Bye."

I put my cell on my desk and literally did a happy dance! Then, I texted Kayley.

"Guess what?"-Kye
"What???"-Kayley
"I got a date for Friday night after my game. :)"-Kye
"Omg! That's amazing...who is it?"-Kayley
"This really hot kid named Jake. We met at the party I went to the other night."-Kye
"The one where you caught Tommy kissing that girl?-Kayley
"Yep. Funny, huh?"-Kye
"Lol. Ya."-Kayley
"You'll have to help me pick out what to wear!"-Kye
"Yessssss! Totally..."-Kayley

I smiled to myself over dinner that night. I couldn't help thinking that maybe my life was turning into some new type of normal. I still missed Izzy. I still certainly hadn't released myself from the guilt, but at least it would seem to those around me that I was finally learning to move on. I couldn't help but wonder, though, was I really?

Jake
It hadn't occurred to me to tell Kye that I would be going camping. She probably thought that I had rejected her. I felt pained just thinking that I may have hurt her like that jerk did.
I was finally able to call her once I got home. I asked her on a date, and to my delight, she agreed. I had warrior training with Nick and my father on Friday night, but we were able to make it work for both of our schedules. I couldn't have been happier, especially because I called her back later that night; we talked for a long time. Damn, I'm a lucky guy! I vowed to always make sure that I showed Kye that I knew that and that I wouldn't take her for granted.