Prologue

Kye

I was in math class. My teacher continued to drone on about quadratic equations or something like that. My palms were sweating, and I'm sure I looked pale as a ghost. But, as usual, no one understood what was wrong with me. "Oh, Kye, your life is just perfect," They would say. "What could possibly be wrong?" Here's something that was wrong; I was seeing dead people. I felt my head throb, the sign that always came before the sighting. I saw her rise up out of the desk in front of me, looking like a shimmering mirage. She was wearing her favorite pink princess dress, and the silver tierra I had bought her for Christmas glowed in the fluorescent light of the classroom. I felt like I was going to be sick. I raised my hand and asked my teacher, Mrs. Fisk if I could go to the nurse. A few minutes later, Mom walked in to the office looking less than pleased that she had been called to pick me up because of another "anxiety attack". I knew she was getting frustrated with me because I couldn't handle Izzy's death as normally as everyone else was, but what could I tell her? "Hey, Mom. I've been seeing Izzy's ghost and other dead people?"

Jake

I blew out my candles. It was my seventeenth birthday, but I wasn't really feeling everybodys' enthusiasm. Sure, I loved the new Nike sneakers I had gotten; they were black and orange and just overall pretty freekin awesome. But I just wasn't really feeling it this year. Nothing had really felt the same in a long time...
"Happy birthday, son." My father beamed at me. "Pretty sure you'll find your mate, and I have a feeling that she will be a very special one."
My "mom" beamed as well. "Happy birthday Jake." I thanked them both before quietly slipping away from the small celebration taking place in my family room. I needed a run, and I needed it now.

I sprinted passed the school. I had graduated early last year because I had all of my credits. This worked out well because I wanted to focus even more on my warrior training.

I saw a girl walk out of the school. She was absolutely stunning. Who looked to be her mother was holding her arm to steady her pale and shaky form. All I could think to myself was "mate mate mate mate mate mate". That is my mate, and she is the picture of perfection. That is my mate, and she just drove away...