Water-Falling in Love With You (Part 2: I Promise)

Sans' Perspective

We haven't found anybody. We've searched, and we've searched, and we've searched... and yet we haven't found a single soul. I know Waterfall is big, but this is ridiculous. We've already checked every single place I can think of, including the hidden alcove behind that one waterfall. And yet... nothing. Nada. Zilch. We haven't even found Paps, and he's the kind of guy that thinks that hiding in his closet makes him invisible. I'm starting to think this whole thing is some kind of elaborate setup. I should've known. Especially since my bro—the king of unnecessary complexity—helped plan all of this.

Though I guess I haven't really been tryin' my hardest. Being handcuffed to (Y/N) is extremely... um... distracting. My soul is currently in the middle of an escape attempt, and I can't go so much as two steps without feeling the urge to check and make sure she's following me. (Which is stupid, since she literally can't be more than two feet away from me, with these handcuffs.)

I can't really say I'm surprised, though. This weird need I have to be around her is pretty much my new normal, and I'm starting to learn how to deal with it. Or... I thought I was. Oh geez, I'm such an idiot—I should have seen that coming! She has an empathetic soul—of course she noticed I was acting weird. But whenever she brought it up, what did I do? I brushed her off. Over, and over, and over again. I pushed her away. I shouldn't be surprised that she blew up like that—I practically lit the fuse for her.

And after we'd kinda resolved the issue, what did I do? I hugged her. No, I clung to her. Sure, it started out as an accident, but the instant she got close to me, I latched onto her like some kind of needy kid. I can't believe I... this is... I sigh, and absentmindedly watch the moss pass by underneath my feet.

This is torture. I want so badly to be close to her, but there's always something that gets in the way. My stupidly irrational fears are constantly holding me back, and whenever I do manage to get past them, I somehow manage to screw everything up. ...Just like I did a few minutes ago. After that whole argument thing, (Y/N)'s pretty much gone silent. The only words that have come out of her mouth since I let go of her are to ask me where we should go, or if I've found anyone.

Even now, all we're doing is walking along in silence, supposedly looking for our friends. I steal a glance over at her, only to find that she's looking in the other direction. To her credit, she looks as if she's legitimately keeping an eye out for the others, but there's something about her body language that tells me that's not the whole story. I know that she said that she liked it when I held her... but...

All of a sudden, the silence between us becomes stifling. I need to hear her voice. I need to know that I haven't upset her. I scramble to find a conversation topic, trying to come up with something, anything, that'll break the silence that's formed between the two of us.

...When did I ever start to care this much?

The thought comes out of nowhere, and stops me dead in my tracks. Before I'd met (Y/N), I would never have cared about something like this. Something so small, so insignificant. Unless it involved Paps, I didn't really care about anything—much less any single person. If I insulted anyone, what did it matter? It would all be reset anyway. And even if it didn't... I figured that they probably didn't really care, either. I was just a blip on the infinite radar of the cosmos—just an average Joe, who happened to tell the occasional joke to hide his crushing depression. I would ultimately be forgotten; whether it was caused by a reset, or just worn away by the good ol' passage of time.