Fallen Down

Your Perspective

               You find yourself lying on your back in a small patch of golden flowers. Everything, from your head to your toes, is numb. You stare blankly at the tiny blue circle of sky high above you, trying to register what had just happened. Had you... had you actually fallen?

               When your shock gradually begins to wear off, and your body starts to realize that you are not, in fact, quite as dead as your mind had originally thought, you get your answer. Yes. Yes, you fell. And you should never, ever, try something so stupid again. You grit your teeth as your entire body starts to ache, as though every inch of you is bruised. That's not surprising. If anything, you're surprised that you're still breathing. Looking up at the sky like this, you guess that it's at least a good hundred feet to the surface.

               In hindsight, you decide, I didn't really think that through.

               If that's not an understatement, you don't know what is. You hadn't just fallen—you'd jumped. It's starting to come back to you. You'd made it to the summit, only to find one of Frisk's water bottles discarded next to a massive gorge. Assuming that she had fallen in, you'd decided that the only thing left to do was follow her... even if that meant following her into the next life.

               You shake that thought from your head and painfully get to your feet, staggering a little under the weight of your backpack. You'd always been an over-packer, but you're somewhat grateful for the fact now. Seeing as this room doesn't have any stairs in it, you don't think you'll be going back to the surface anytime soon.

               Well, you think, once again staring up at the dot of sky high above, at least I'm closer to finding Frisk.

               You're trying your best to be optimistic, but the reality is that you have no way of knowing if Frisk is even down here... or what lies at the other end of the dark corridor that serves as the room's only exit. You stare at it for a moment, gathering your courage.

               Well, here goes nothing...

               You turn your back on the only home you have ever known and step into the darkness, the last light you may ever see slowly fading from view.

**** 

               This place is weird. Everything is purple. As far as I know, there's no such thing as naturally colored purple rock. Someone must have gone to a lot of effort to paint this place. And what's with the pillars? Am I in some kind of ruins? I-I guess that's pretty cool... you ramble. And those puzzles. I don't see the point in them, especially if all of them are deactivated...

                It's no use. Not even the babbling of your brain can distract you from... from... it. The moment you stepped out of that first corridor, a giant frog has been constantly hopping at your side. You glance at it from the corner of your eye, checking if... yep. It's still staring at you. You shiver as you train your gaze straight ahead, attempting to ignore the oversized amphibian.

                It's nothing to worry about—it's just a giant frog. It's probably some kind of evolutionary thing, you rationalize. You know... like those fish in subterranean caves that grow without eyes.

                You sneak a sideways glance at the frog, and momentarily meet its large, glassy eyes. There's almost a sort of... intelligence in them. You quickly look away as sweat starts to form on your forehead.