An Old Friend, A New Façade

Your Perspective

You sigh and collapse on your bed, the events of the day leaving you both emotionally and physically drained. The moment you had gotten back to Sans' house, Papyrus had dragged you back out again to help him "recalibrate his puzzles." In other words, you had to complete every single puzzle between Snowdin and the ruins.

Now, that in itself didn't seem like a terribly hard task. And it wouldn't have been... if you had only needed to solve them once. Papyrus never seemed to be entirely happy with their difficultly level, and he had to make them just a little bit harder every time you successfully passed through. It was tedious work, and you'd eventually started to fake being stumped just to satisfy him.

Sans and Frisk had tagged along, of course, but they'd been content to let you do all the dirty work, sitting on the sidelines and egging Papyrus on. Some friends. You can't help but groan as you remember the smirk that'd been on Sans' face as he watched you struggle, a pun always ready on his lips. (Er... teeth? Whatever.) The point is, it had been infuriating. Never in your life have you been so glad to get home.

It may have been tiring, you think, but it's nice to have friends again.

It's been a long time since you've talked to anyone besides Frisk, and it's been ages since you'd last had someone you could genuinely call a friend. Your last attempt at friendship... well, it hadn't exactly ended well.

And moving away from the city didn't help, you think, an enormous yawn escaping you. It pretty much killed any chance I had of a social life.

You cringe, deeply regretting your inner monologue's choice of words.

Why does everything in my life seem to revolve around some kind of killing?

Before you can come up with an answer, your eyelids gradually grow heavier, and the world slowly starts to fade away as sleep finally overtakes you.

***

The next time you open your eyes, you find yourself in the middle of an endless expanse of... emptiness. There seems to be some kind of invisible ground beneath your feet, but beyond that, there's absolutely nothing here. No matter where you look, no matter where you turn... all you find is an unending, all-consuming, blackness.

Wh-where am I? you ask yourself shakily. What is this place?

If you had to identify the place, you'd call it a void... but that doesn't make very much sense. Voids aren't exactly things that exist naturally. And besides, weren't you just in bed a Toriel's? How did you even get here? You find yourself crossing your arms, the pressure of your own grip somehow comforting amidst the uncertainty of your current situation.

This... this place has to end somewhere, right? you ask yourself, trying to think logically. Nothing goes on forever.

As you see it, you only have two options open to you: you can stay here, or you can move forward. With a sigh, you pick the latter, taking your first few uncertain steps into the void. At least this way, you'll be more likely to find an exit... if there is one.

After what seems like hours of walking, a shiver slowly makes its way up your spine as some primal instinct tells you that you're not alone. You falter in your path for a moment, fear starting to take root in you. Someone else is here... and they are very, very interested in you.

As if confirming your thought, a child's laugh echoes throughout the void. Never before has a sound exuded so much bloodlust... or filled you with so much terror. Your breath catches in your throat as you break into a run, your feet pounding almost painfully against whatever invisible ground is beneath them. You have to get away. You don't know why, but your instincts tell you that you have to get away.