Close Encounters of the Worst Kind

Start from the beginning

"Chief, there's been another attack."

"Like the one last night you mean?" Bogo asked.

"Yes sir, in Tundra Town again."

The police chief lowered his head. "I'm on my way," he let go of the button and turned his attention back to me again before standing up. "Not only did you disobey orders, but you also withheld vital information from the ZPD, and then proceeded to lie about it. For that, you're off this case as of now, Officer Wilde. Do not attempt any further investigations concerning it. Good day," he dismissed me.

I left Bogo's office feeling a mixture of triumph and defeat all at the same time. I had honestly expected the guy to fire me on the spot when I said I didn't trust him, so it came as a surprise to me when I walked out with my job. But then there was the fact that I had been purged from the investigation. I was no longer allowed to participate in the search for our suspect, or discovering the cause of these savage attacks.

  And now it's happening again. I thought.

Judy saw me coming down the stairs. "How'd it go?" she asked nervously.

I sighed, knowing she wouldn't like my answer. "I'm off the case. I can't help you crack it anymore."

Her ears drooped, disappearing behind her head. "Nick, I'm sorry."

"No no, don't be sorry. I'm the one that decided it was a good idea not to tell Chief Buffalo-Butt about the guy we're after. Besides, it was you who dragged me into this, remember? I'm on leave right now for crying out loud. If anything, I should be happy he's giving me my vacation back," I tried to put a positive spin on the situation.

"You sure you're gonna be okay?" she wanted me to confirm.

"Hopps!" it was Bogo again. I assumed he had come back from talking to Clawhauser. "There's been another attack in Tundra. Come on, you're with me."

Judy looked back at where I was standing, still waiting for my answer.

"I'll be fine Carrots. You'd better get going," I reassured her.

She nodded and turned around to leave. "Oh! Wait, before you go," I stopped her, and came close so that only she could hear. "Promise me that if you find him, you won't let Bogo get to him."

Her eyebrows creased. "Why? Bogo's our police chief, Nick. We can't just-"

"Promise me, Judy," I became stern.

She looked conflicted once again. "I'll do what I can."

"Let's go Hopps!" Bogo yelled from the entrance of the ZPD.

I watched as they both exited the building, along with a few other cops, leaving me there to wander about.

  Well. I guess I can go home now. I thought with a sigh, and headed for one of the side doors to the station. I could have taken the cruiser, but I figured Judy would need it more than I did when she got back. I didn't live quite as far away as she did, so I walked. The night was in motion, and the stars were already following the moon across the sky.

For the next twenty minutes I strolled down the sidewalk, once again surrounded by streetlights. You know, the ones that never seem to go out? The whole thing was giving me dejavou. Walking past the curb, among the night-lit streets of Zootopia. Another attack, and yet again in Tundra Town, no less.

I groaned as I was suddenly reminded that, while I was stuck over here, Judy and the rest of the force were over there actually figuring out what was going on. At least, I hoped they were. I tried not to let their situation into my mind for too long, because I knew that the more I thought about it, the more I'd be tempted to ignore Bogo's orders and continue on with the investigation myself. It probably would've been best for me to sit the rest of it out though. I needed a break anyway. Looking out at the city, I realized how much I wanted to rest. I was glad I was going home.