Chapter 13- Maybe not meant to be

Were friends. That’s all I could ask for right now. I mean yes of course I wanted more, but I’m just glad she’ll look me in face now, and not kill me with her eyes. But she was with Abby. I don’t know how the hell that happened. They told me, but I still didn’t understand how he gave up his bachelor ways. He seemed like a different guy when he was around her. It was very different seeing her at a lot of the games, sitting with the wives and girlfriends. I still found myself working extra hard to impress her, trying to out play Abby. But at the end of the game, I would see him putting arm around her waist, or interlock their fingers together, and kiss her lips. It made me sick to my stomach. I couldn’t watch it without getting nauseous. Just imagining his hands touching her, caressing her soft skin later that night. He didn’t deserve her. Hell I’m not for sure if I deserved her. I had her for one night, and threw it away. What I would give to have her back in my bed.

December came all too soon. Before I knew it I was heading to the team Christmas party at the Illitches. When I walked in I could smell all the delicious cooking. I headed through the house to see everyone. I looked all over for Abby and Rebekah, but no such luck.

“Hey man” Drapes said handing me a glass of champagne.

Hey” I said taking the glass flute. “Has Abby got here yet?” I asked taking a sip.

“Yeah, just got here” He smiled. “Turn around”

I turned around to see Abby and Rebekah walk in. I could feel my mouth getting dry when I looked at what she was wearing. This beautiful red short dress. It encased her body so perfectly. Her hair flowed down her neck, like a waterfall. Her legs, as always looked like they went on for days, especially in those shoes. It gave me another reason to kick myself in the ass for leaving two years ago.

“She’s beautiful” I heard a whisper next to me. I turned and saw Hannah sipping on her champagne.

“She’s more than beautiful” I said, turning my head not able to look at her anymore. It was killing me inside. I walked away, and made my way out to the terrace to clear my head.

“Darren” I heard Hannah call after me. I didn’t want to hear how she thought Rebekah was the one for me, because she obviously wasn’t meant for me. If she was she would be my date to this thing. I felt the cool air chill on my face, as I walked on to the empty terrace to clear my mind, and basically try to fix the uncomfortable feeling in my pants.

Maybe I should just give up. Stop trying to win her over. She’s obviously likes Abby. She wouldn’t have stayed with him that long if she didn’t. I could feel these feelings with in me. They were something I had never felt before. Did I love her?

I shook my head, and walked into the house. I’ve been here so many times for such parties; I knew my way around this house so well. I walked too where I knew a bathroom was. I needed to throw some water on my face or something.

I patted my face dry, and looked at my eyes. I could see pain. But I would try to mask it, put on a front if I have too.

I went to open the door.

“Oh, Sorry” Rebekah shamefully said, pulling her hand from the door knob. “I didn’t know you were in here”

“Its ok” I whispered.

We both stood in the door way. I looked down at her, she looked scared. I lifted her chin with my finger, so she was now looking into my eyes. I could feel my head lean down, and capture her lips. They were so soft, and smooth. Was she really kissing me back? This had to be a dream. I cupped her face, and felt her smooth skin on my fingertips.

“Darren” She said pulling back. “We can’t do this”

I looked into her eyes.

“I have Justin” She said stepping back.

“You don’t love him” I said forcefully, as I step towards her.

“Yes I do” She said defending herself.

“No you don’t” I said lifting her face, making her look at me.

“How do you know?” She asked whispering.

“If you loved him” I said leaning closer. “You wouldn’t have kissed back”

I could see the tears forming at her lids.

“I have to go” She said walking away. Leaving me in the dust. I put my fingers to my lips, still able to feel the tingle she left.

I walked back out to the party, to find her assuming place back at the side of Abby. She looked worried. But when didn’t she?

You could tell something was wrong with her.

She whispered something in Abby’s ear. His face dropped a little, as he grabbed her hand, but she pulled it away.

What had she said to him? Secretly I followed them. I saw her pull him into a room. Please dear God, don’t screw her. I don’t know if I can handle to hear that.

I could hear some of what they were saying, But not enough to know what the conversation was about.

After about ten minutes of them being in the room, I heard the door knob turn. I quickly turned to run away, but not quick enough. I tried to make it seem like I wasn’t ease dropping like I was. I was expecting Abby to be walking out, but no. Rebekah came walking out wiping her eyes. She turned the corner, and grabbed her coat, and left.

A moment later, Abby came walking out, with a fallen look on his face.

"Rebekah just broke up with me”

Posted by HockeyChick19 at 2:08 PM