Chapter 5- If Home Is Where The Heart Is, Where Is Mine?

We kept driving and instead of the awkward silence from before, I kept Kyle talking. I asked him about his life, his family. He told me about his older brothers and his family. His family has their own business, The Whithers Waters, a local coffee shop (and diner on weekends) with a lake out back behind it. Kyle also told me his mom ran out when he was little because she "couldn't handle the stress", leaving Kyle's dad paying all the bills and taking care of the boys. I could tell that he was surprised he let that slip out though. Listening to Kyle talk about his dad made me think about mine and who he was.

I would think of my father as a 5'10 bulky man, who holds power. He doesn't take things for granted, but helps out as much as he can. My father would have the same dark brown hair as mine and he loved me endlessly. I couldn't wait to figure out who he was so I could see his face brighten when he sees his daughter is back home, safe and sound. Then again, he could be dead and I could have forgotten all about him and the things we probably did when I was a little girl. Reading stories to me as a child, helping me pick out dresses that covered my whole body for school dances, and even teaching me to drive as a teenager. I laughed inside, thinking about the funny, made-up memories going through my head.

"My father lives in the attic of the coffee shop now, and he bought my brothers and I a small house not too far from it. Of course, the loans bought the house. Not my father. But, he's trying his best." He sighs as he takes a right down a road with the mesmerizing countryside. I couldn't stop looking at the snow melting off the branches.

"My brothers left to get a job and collect some money to help my dad. You can meet them when they come back in a few weeks to visit. Although, I wouldn't get too close around them. They tend to be bossy and possessive." he chuckles and goes on telling me about his family again. "But I think you should meet my father. A lot of people go to the coffee shop and who knows? maybe you'll see someone you might know. My dad could probably help us. You- I mean." We pull into the coffee shop and I gaze at the beautiful landscape.

The snow hadn't completely melted off the roof of the coffee shop, in its smokey brown color, which matched perfectly with the white ground. I followed the sidewalk around to the back of the coffee shop and saw the frozen lake, with a few kids running around throwing what's left of the snow at each other. The trees around the lake led to a walkway behind it, letting couples and family walk through to admire the forest I assume. I could hear the laughter from the children and just felt content all around me. This place was magical. How could they possibly be in debt? We walked inside and that's when I realized it. The inside didn't look quite as breath-taking as the outside. The chairs they had were covered with torn, ugly brown leather. The bar stools were all different colors, probably from different places no doubt. The paint had started to peel off from the bar and the walls were an awful olive green. In the background, you could hear Dolly Parton and her old, number one hit country song. This whole place was a mess. It was like a rundown, B rated bar in Texas.

"See what I mean? This place is like a rich teenage boy. Amazing on the outside, ugly on it inside." I laughed at Kyle's remark. This place was tearing his family apart. Why don't they just sell the place? I looked at Kyle and he just kind of stared at me. I had just realized that I had spoken those words aloud.

"I'm so sorry. It's none of my business. It's-" I started jumbling my words together and walking away. He grabbed my arm and turned me around.

"No. It's okay. Honestly, I've asked myself that question, more than once. This place, even though it doesn't look much, is still a part of me. This is the last place that we have where our mom is still connected to us." He whispered the last sentence, but I could hear it. He missed a mom he had, but lost. I don't know exactly what that feels like, so I don't know exactly how to comfort him. So, I give him a hug instead. He turns around, and wraps his arms around me. I could feel his heart beat slowing as he calms down and I smooth my hand up and down his back.

Kyle finally lets go of my embrace, and I stare at him, fully taking him in. His sandy brown hair has gotten long these past few weeks, covering most of his eyes now. I could also see that he has a few freckles on his nose and his angelic lips, which was kind of cute. He even has a mole under his bottom lip.I finally look up into his eyes and they just seem empty. Like he's frustrated about something. But no matter what, those golden eyes give me chills. Hopefully it's for a good reason. Maybe they remind me of something, or someone.

"Didn't you say you had family? Where are your brothers? Are they-"

"Let's go upstairs and check on my father." He grabs my hand and rushes up the stairs before I could even say anything. He must not be that close with his brothers, or maybe he just didn't hear me. I have realized I talk really quiet most of the time. Sometimes, Kyle doesn't even hear me when I ask him to get me a drink or change the channel on the television. which reminds me, I need to go home and watch the new episode of-

Wait, did I just call Kyle's house my home?

"Dad? I want you to meet someone."

Shit.

Photo of the Coffee House