T.A.H. • KNOCK KNOCK, I'M HOME

The snarls and growls of the wolves following me begin to close in, and I'm still around five hundred yards away from the Wall and the line of soldiers protecting it. I try and push myself faster, almost falling from the strain. The falter in my stride allows them to burst into the clearing and nearly catch me; I can even feel the hot breath of one of them on my heels. Lucky enough for me, a giant horde of wolves succeeds in gaining the soldiers' attention. They begin shouting commands and move forward to intercept with guns drawn.

I let out a wild cry, feeling trapped between two forces. One will take me back to a place that I've been trained to raze to the ground, and another could quite possibly open fire on me this very moment. My cry luckily brings attention to me; two soldiers focus in on me, a small Asian girl only yards ahead of the racing monsters. They move ahead of the other ranks, one of them jerking me to him and sprinting back behind the line of men, the other letting loose a spray of gunfire.

The soldier who has me lifts up his mask revealing a young, rather plain face with two bright blue eyes. "What's your name?" he asks kindly, but I can barely hear him over the blood rushing in my ears and my ragged breathing.

"Lyssa." I breathe out, all my strength sapped from my limbs. I can hardly keep my eyes open, and I only just manage to loll my head over and look at the cowering wolf pack. An angry sandy brown one bursts through them, shifting throughout his jump and landing in front of the soldiers crouched as a human.

"Stop!" Paul cries out, his voice agonizing. "You don't understand, she belongs with me!" He stands up, gripping his hair and breathing hard, his hazel eyes are wild, and they keep flickering between their original color and yellow. His canines are longer than normal, giving him a feral, beast-like look. My chest tightens at the sound of his voice, that electric current coming back, no matter his appearance. I turn my head away and bury it in the soldier's fatigues, wishing I could just be home as Paul continues to try and barter with the captain on duty.

Loud voices call my attention as the soldier carries me to the East Gate, and its all I can do to lift my head up to see who it is.

It takes me a moment to realize that there are three figures rushing towards me, and it takes another second to recognize them. I've always been so used to seeing five, or at least four, that it's always a shock to my system whenever I see them, my family, without my dear brother. I used to have a twin brother, one that I was only a mere eight minutes older than, and his name was Elijah. He and I were inseparable growing up; where I went, he went. He had always looked up to me when we were younger, then, as we got older, he played the role of a protective younger brother. It's been two years since his death, but to me, it's as stark and painful as it was the day I received the news. Ever since then I've promised to avenge him by slaughtering every wolf I come across; I've kept true to my word, too. Until now.

Lyndsey is the other sibling missing from my family group; panic seizes my heart and despite my exhaustion I struggle against the soldier who has me so I can get down and greet them and ask where my sister is. Unfortunately, my legs don't quite want to work properly when he swings me around, so I stay sagged against him.

"Mom," I sob, still overjoyed to see my mother when she envelops me in a hug despite the worry for my sister.

"Lyssie, baby, are you okay?" My mom stays beside me, worry lacing her voice. She glances at the soldier, who immediately hands me over to her. She supports me the best she can, crying quietly into my hair.

"Yes, yes," I weakly push her away, pulling myself up shakily and glance over at the pack of wolves that remain. Paul is pacing angrily in front of the soldiers, a solid growl coming out of his throat. His eyes meet mine and he pauses, staring pleadingly into my eyes. "Lyssa, please,"