5

MARCO DIAZ

I followed Star into her room. Something was not right, I could taste it in the atmosphere. She plopped on her bed, letting out a contempt sigh. I sat down on the floor like the gentleman I was. "So..?"

"It's a long story." She rolled to the side to face me, a sad smile on her lips. I hate it when Star was not herself. Was Adallene's backstory that heart wrenching? It better be.

"Her mom and dad doesn't live together any more. She was sent to Echo Creek because her mom didn't want her to get involved. Not only that, she lives here alone." I raised my eyebrows at Star. Her story didn't add up to that girl's attitude towards me.

"That doesn't explain why she's so rude." I narrowed my eyes and crossed my arms. Okay, so she lives with a broken family. I've met a few others with divorced parents but they were still nice.

"Just stop talking for a minute, please." I made a zipping gesture with my mouth.

"Okay, so before that she was homeschooled and has no friends blah blah... You heard the drill." I rolled my eyes as I bit back my laughter. So the other part's weren't that important? This turned out to be as I thought; a complete waste of saliva.

"Adallene's father threw her away to a notorious correctional camp for no reason prior to her move here." The hair on the back of my head suddenly stood up. She went to a correctional camp? An underground correctional camp? Gosh.

"She learned self-defense there." Star added, raising her hand and presenting it in front of me. "And you could still see the scars of the beatings if you look closely." A wave of embarrassment washed over me. I was being such a pain to her without knowing who she was. I mean- You're such a judgmental turd, Marco!

"I was her first friend, Marco, she told me." I stood up from my position. "Privately." Star gazed at me with such sadness in her eyes that I wanted to cry. I was such a jerk!

"I think I need sleep, Star." A small sad smile played on my lips.

"Wellllll..." A laser puppy went to snuggle her.  Star squeaked and I knew that she was back to her usual happy self. "Good night, Marco."

"Good night, Star." It was not a good night as I stayed awake with a heavy heart and racing thoughts. Yet, when I slept... I forgot about everything.

---

I waited at the usual spot for Jackie. All these years I've been nodding at her at this very position. Yeah yeah, simple but atleast we have something to share in common! So there I was, combing my hair, waiting for the girl of my dreams to come skate boarding towards me. Wait. What's taking her too long?

I looked at my wrist watch once more, three minutes late! What happened? I started to panic! What if she got hit by a bus or something... NO! Think positive, Marco, think--

"That's a cool device you have there." I heard a familiar voice say. I turned around to see Jackie Lynn Thomas with Adallene. The thoughts of yesterday came rushing back and I gulped. But seriously though, out of all people, why Adallene?

I stood there, frozen as they passed by. Jackie being her usual lovely self and Adallene her demonic-- I mean harsh stare piecing right through me. She looked away momentarily. A feeling of guilt settled in my stomach.

'After all she's been through, she deserves a friend.' I thought. Maybe she's not that bad of a person afterall? Well sure we had our misunderstandings but to think of it she never insulted me... I was just being too hard on her.

"Adallene!" I called out her name. I began running towards her and stupidly grabbed her arm.

She let out a surprised squeaked "I need to talk to you." I said, determined to get this done with it.

Adallene's eyes scanned the person beside her. Wait! I forgot about Jackie! My cheeks suddenly felt warm as I averted my attention to the love of my life.

"Can I?" I choked out, my grip tightening on Adallene's arm.

"Yeah sure, Marco." She calmly said. Gosh, I love the way she talks. Jackie turned to the girl beside me and waved her goodbye. "See you later, Adallene!"

"Bye, Jacklyn!" Adallene smiled. A real genuine smile. I gazed at her for a few seconds and all of her features sinked in: white pearly teeth, blushing red lips and a small twinkle in her eyes. She was, I hate to say this, kind of cute. Minus the straightforward attitude and the perpetual frown on her face, that is.

'Gosh Marco! Stop praising her!' I mentally slapped myself as I drifted back to reality. "Jacklyn? What kind of nickname is that?" I blurted, which I instantly regret by the way.

She glared at me with the strength of a thousand daggers.

"Make it quick." Adallene hissed. At least she didn't growl at me.

That's when I realized the words were all stuck in my throat. I gulped.

A/N:
It's been a long day, since I last updated,
And I'll tell you all the details when I login againnnn.
Lol jk. I was super busy with school and guess what! I garnered first place in short story writing, how cool is that?! Against all the creative writers that I personally know in school! Wohoo! And I have a few Club president Duties to do so super slow updates. (Guess which club I'm in hahaha)

Please don't kill me :(
Loves