Please Don't Go

Note: Okay, this one shot was inspired by a Carl Grimes YouTube video I saw by Fandoms Always. Honestly, I recommend that video to everyone because it's so awesome XD The video is called Carl Grimes (Please Don't Go) to anyone who would like to see it and I added the video above :)

It's a debilitating feeling. Loving someone with your whole heart knowing that at any give moment, you could lose them. That's how I felt about Carl Grimes. We'd met as kids on daddy's farm. That was back when everything was going right. Back when all of us weren't separated. Back when everyone I cared about was still with me: Maggie, Beth, daddy....and Carl.

I swallowed a lump in my throat as the tears threatened to come. I pushed it down and kicked at a rock with one of my beat up sneakers.

"You coming, Rachel?" Carol called to me, looking over Judith's head, whom she was carrying on her hip.

Nobody ever knows, nobody ever sees

I faked a smile and nodded to her as I brushed past Tyreese.

I left my soul, back then, no I'm too weak

When we finally reached a deserted street, it was dusk. Carol pointed to one of the houses and we walked to it quickly as we heard the far-off sounds of walkers moaning.

Most nights I pray for you to come home

As I lay in one of the empty beds in the house that night, I prayed. Prayed that Carl would be okay, that he would make it back to me.

Praying to the lord, praying for my soul

The showdown at the prison re-played in my mind - Carl's dejected face and my own tears as we were separated. I didn't even know if he was alive now.

Now please don't go, most nights I hardly sleep when I'm alone

A sob escaped my lips as horrible scenarios filled my head. I barely slept now that Carl wasn't here. I used to fall asleep in his arms, my head on his chest.

Now please don't go, oh no

Hot tears trekked down my face as I pulled the blankets up around my tiny frame. To think that I'd never see those denim-blue eyes again.

I think of you whenever I'm alone

Pictures of him and that old sheriff's hat swirled in my mind as I drifted off to sleep...alone.

So please don't go

We were back on the road by dawn, the sun just starting to shine on the treetops overhead. I trudged along behind the group, just watching the sun come up. It was our favorite time back at the prison. Carl would sneak into my room and wake me up early so we could watch the sunrise together. Now here I was, watching it by myself...

Suddenly, Carol made a gesture with her hand, signaling us to stop. There was a blank sign up ahead.

Cause I don't ever wanna know

"We need to leave a message on here. So the others can find us." Tyreese piped up, hoisting Judith up on his hip.

Don't ever wanna see things change

I dug the old pocketknife that Carl had given me out of my jeans. I ran my thumb over the initials engraved on the side: C.G.

Cause when I'm living on my own

Walking up to the sign, I etched words into the rotting wood. When I was done, I returned it to my pocket and we began on our way to Terminus again.