D A Y 3 8

"The kindest words
my father said to me
women like you
drown oceans."
Rupi Kaur

_____

D A Y T H I R T Y E I G H T

_____

"BROUGHT YOU something." Hunter grins as he places a white rose on the counter.

"White?" I raise my eyebrow at him.

"Only white one in the garden." His lobsided smile made my heart clench in my chest. He really was truly and utterly beautiful, I know what you're thinking a guy can't be beautiful. But my god he was and more.

"Why thank you." I lick my lips and pick up the rose.

"I gotta go."  He smiles sadly at me.

"Okay, bye." I give him a small wave and watch his retreating body. Suddenly I'm left with an empty feeling in my chest. I shrug it off and turn back to Quinn who is quickly typing away on his phone. "Another date?" I ask tugging at his shirt.

"Nope, but I've reached a high score on colour switch." I wrinkle up my nose is disgust, I never really enjoyed playing those games.

"Why did Hunter just give you a rose?" He asks putting his phone down on the counter.

"Told him white was my favourite colour and today he brings me a white rose." I shrug it off like it was nothing but, it really meant something to me.

"That's, eh cute." Quinn wrinkles his nose is disgust and I chuck a dish cloth that was lying around at his head. "Hey, I said cute." He fixes his glasses on his nose, where the force of the dish cloth had knocked them to the side.

I don't reply, instead I giggle and walk off.

That evening I sit at my kitchen island as I watch Mama cook. "Paige."

I snap my head up meeting my mothers eyes. "Hmm." I grunt in reply.

"Your phone." She musses.

Oh. It was ringing. I take it up off the island spinning around on the chair and walk towards the living room.

"Yellow." I hum while flicking the television on mute. I don't get a reply, I just hear a chuckle.

Taking a seat on the arm chair I speak again. "Hello?"

"Paige, I was wondering could you come with me to a party on the beach tonight."

Hunter? I pull the phone from my ear, the number was not saved on my phone.

"Depends." I reply a smile tugging at the corners of my mouth.

"On." He chuckles again.

"Who's asking."

"Oh shit. Hmmm...I'm sorry I didn't realise you'd get that many invites. It's Hunter." He replied sarcastically, he was smirking I knew it.

"Well then I most definitely will not be coming."

"Great. See you in thirty minutes."

The line goes dead.

Exactly twenty eight minutes and fifty two seconds later there's a knock at my apartment door. I open it a smile tugging at the corners of my lips. "Hunter." I greet as I glance at him. He leans against the door frame shoving his phone back in his pocket.