26 ~ Final Chapter

//26

(Leyla's POV)

School was a blur today.

I couldn't focus on anyone. Not Luke, not Maddi, not Jasmine, no one. I couldn't focus on anything, because of the task at hand. I have to go see Calum tonight. I have to drive 3 hours to see him. To see him face to face, and break his heart.

I walk out of the front gates and head towards the car. The cool autumn air ruffles my ponytail and I shrug my shoulders slightly in an attempt to shield my bare neck. I reach the silver Volvo, and rummage in my backpack for the keys.

Just as I'm climbing into the front seat, I hear someone calling my name. I turn and see Luke, at the front gate with a bunch of his friends, waving at me. I smile and wave back and he yells;

'See you tomorrow!' (We'd promised to meet up after I'd seen Calum). I nod in response and climb into the car, putting the keys in and driving away.

//

'Leyla, this is the third party in less than two months!'

'I know mum', I scratch the back of my neck, 'but this one's really special, uh, it's Jasmine's 18th!'

'Who the hell is Jasmine?' She asks as she unpacks the groceries in the kitchen. I jump up onto the counter and reach for an apple.

'She's my choir friend, I swear I've told you about her.'

She stops unloading the food and turns to face me, her hands on her hips.

'Look, Leyla, I just don't want you going to another party, okay?' I roll my eyes and groan.

'Seriously, mum, I'll be home by 10.' She sighs.

'Fine.'

'Thank you.' I hug her quickly and then rush up stairs to pack my things.

I check the clock in my room, it reads 4:32. I plan to leave at about 5:00 so I can maybe make it home by 12, I'll have to apologise to my mum when I get back.

The backpack I'm taking consists of 3 packets of oreos, 2 bottles of iced coffee and one bottle of coke. This will keep me awake, and I'll grab some dinner on the way. I shove my purse and phone into my bag, and then go down stairs to grab the car keys.

'Bye Mum!' I yell as I walk out the door.

'Cya hun!'

//

(Calum's POV)

Climbing into the front seat of the car, I turn to give my mum a quick wave before shutting the door. I hesitate slightly before putting the keys in the ignition. I can't believe I'm doing this. But I have to.

When Leyla moved, we promised each other that we'd try and make this relationship work long distance. It was okay at the start, but it has crumbled these past few months. It breaks my heart, but I have to end it. She was, and will always be, my first love.

My knuckles are sweating as I grip the steering wheel tightly. The sky is beginning to dim as the clock on my dashboard nears half past six.

(Leyla's POV)

My eyes flutter open, and I violently swerve to the left as I realise that I've been drifting to the right lane. This is the second time I've momentarily fallen asleep, and it's not even seven o'clock.

The car is littered with oreo packets and ice coffee bottles, and yet the caffeine and sugar is still failing to keep me awake. I really should find somewhere to pull over so I can take a nap, because even though there are no other cars out this far into the bush, it is almost pitch black and the next time I doze off I could have a serious accident.

I try to keep my eyes pierced for a clearing on the side of the road, but instead I feel my eyelids becoming very heavy and droopy again.

(Calum's POV)

I'm trying to envisage in my head what I plan to say to Leyla, although my thoughts are being drowned out by the blaring music in my car. I roll down the window to let some cool air in, and I then gaze ahead of me at the stretching road ahead.

Far in the distance, if I squint, I can just make out what looks like the headlights of a car. A car that is swerving around like crazy. It runs across the two lanes and onto the grass, and then back the other way. I'm amazed it hasn't crashed yet.

As I drive nearer, I realise that I could be in some trouble with this oncoming car. I begin to slow down as the large silver car comes closer and closer, still swerving around like a lunatic. I start freaking out.

(Leyla's POV)

I jump as I wake up. The car is going at over 130km per hour, and it is veering dangerously off the road. I slam my foot on the brake and try to steer back onto the road.

I didn't even see the car in front of me.

(Calum's POV)

The car is now hurtling towards me, and I shakily reach for the gear stick and pull it into reverse. I slam my foot onto the accelerator, but the silver car is going too fast.

And then I see...

(Leyla's POV)

Black.

(Calum's POV)

Black.

The End.

a/n hey everyone! i've been thinking for a while that this story needs to come to an end, and i know it's been such a long time but here is the ending. I'm sorry it's so indefinite! I might do a chapter about what happens in the future after the incident, but we'll see. I am happy that I have now completed my first wattpad book, and I am so grateful for all the support I have received while writing this story. I hope there may be a few more coming! xx grvngecacti