10

a/n heyo everyone im so sorry I havent update in a while :( i've been skiing and away at my grandmas house so its been a bit all over the place - but i promise i will update again on the weekend. so here is chapter 10, hope you enjoy and pls dont be a silent reader ;) xx grvngecacti

//10

Luke stares at me looking lost for words, confused and above all, extremely hurt by my action.

'I'm sorry Luke,' I can't even meet his gaze, 'I have a boyfriend.' He processes what I've said for a moment, and then abruptly stands up from the couch.

'Shit...' He runs his fingers through his hair and turns around.

'No Luke,' I get up and follow him as he walks to the dining room.

'Fuck I'm so sorry Leyla, that was so stupid.' He pulls up a chair and sits down, holding his head in his hands.

'Luke, it wasn't your fault, you didn't know-'

'No but I shouldn't of done that. I jus-' The suddenly door swings open.

Shit, it's my mum.

'Hi honey,' she beams, and as she scans the room, her gaze rests on Luke.

'Who's this?' She makes an attempt to smile, but her stern tone makes it clear she doesn't like coming home to a strange boy in her house.

'This is Luke,' I sigh, 'and he-'

'Was just leaving!' He interrupts, jumping up off the chair.

'What?' I ask, looking wildly up at him.

'Oh no don't feel as though you have to leave dear,' my mum assures him, 'I'm fine with you here, I just wish Leyla would've told me you were coming.' She turns to face me and I return her glare. Seriously, I mean this is like the fifth time he's come over, if she was ever home she would know who he was.

'I'm sorry Ms. Watson, but I really have to get back home.' Luke gives me one last look but I can't quite read his expression, before he picks up his bag and walks briskly out the door, shutting it behind him.

My mum raises her eyebrows at me.

'Don't even.' I snap at her and storm upstairs to my room.

//

My eyes flutter open and I focus on a face, my mum's, which is about two centimeters away from my own. I am lying in my bed, and the darkness pouring into my room from the window to my left indicates it is still very early in the morning.

'Love you need to get up, you've got your first match in half an hour.'

Oh right, netball. As soon as we moved, mum made me join the local team. I used to play netball all the time as a kid, but slacked off in recent years. I guess mum saw the move as an opportunity to get me back into my old routines. Anyway, the stupid netball association in the city makes you get up at some unearthly hour for a 7:00am game. I mean honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if they'd encountered players falling asleep on court before.

'Leyla you need to get up now.' My mum mother repeats, more sternly.

I moan and roll over. I didn't even want to join the team.

'Leyla!'

'Fuck off...' I mumble into my pillow.

'I beg your pardon?'

'Nothing.' I smile as I sit up on the edge of my bed, yawning and rubbing my eyes.

'Breakfast is ready for you downstairs, and your uniform is over there on the desk.' She picks up some of my dirty clothes near the door and walks out. I drag myself across the room to have a look at my uniform. It's actually not that bad; an A-line cut, with a simple blue and white diamond pattern. I sigh and rip off my pyjamas, slip into the dress and pull on my netball runners.

Heading down the stairs I can smell the waft of breakfast from the kitchen. Smells like eggs and toast. Yum. I plant myself on a bench chair and my plate is pushed in front of me; a wombat in a hole. My favourite.

'Now eat quick, we have to go in five minutes.' Great.

Without hesitating, I dig into my meal. I savour every salty and buttery mouthful; it really is heaven on a plate. Before I can place the last forkful into my mouth, it is knocked out of my hand.

'We have to go now Leyla, we're going to be late!'

I groan and follow my mum out of the door and into our car; an Audi seven seater. Don't ask me why we have a seven seater when there's two of us; my mum bought the car, not me. Maybe she wants people to think she has a big family, or maybe she just likes the extra space, I don't know. My mum's a bit spaz like that sometimes.

About five minutes into the drive, she attempts to start a conversation.

'So how do you like the new school love?' She asks, her eyes on the road.

'Fine.' I reply, uninterested in making small talk with her.

'Come on love, tell me more. What are your teachers like?'

'They're fine.' I reply flatly.

'Leyla.'

'Why do you even care?' I snap.

'Because I'm your mother!' she retorts.

'If you cared, you'd be there after school so I could tell you then.'

'That's not fair. You know I have to work late to p-'

'To pay for a stupid city education! One that's way more expensive but easily the same quality as back in Daesville! Where my friends are, my boyfriend is, my home is, my LIFE is!' I cross my arms and look out the window.

I'll never forgive this woman.

//

We pull up at the netball stadium, and I trudge in with a ball and my drink bottle. My team mates are nice, but they've been playing together since they were like ten, so I don't really fit in. I haven't really fitted in anywhere I've been recently anyway.

We finish a five minute warmup, and then the nerves start kicking. I haven't played in years, and from the training we had earlier this week these girls seem really good. What if I'm the worst in the team? What if I stuff it up for everyone? There's no point asking those questions though, they're already a guaranteed.

We take the court, I'm playing centre. God. The opposition gets the first centre pass, and I put my arms up over the ball, ready to begin. Just as the umpire puts the whistle to her lips, something catches my eye. I turn my head slightly and see something that almost makes me spew.

Sitting on the bench, watching my game, is Luke.