02

the day was growing old and the earth called, the sun sank down beneath the tops of pines

the day was growing old and the earth called, the sun sank down beneath the tops of pines. the light streaked through the boughs in both brilliant and shadowy beans. in the summer time they were white and gold, illuminating the greens into virescent riots; yet the gift of those warm days had passed for the season.

we all ran, our feet kissing the land. as we were running, we found a boy in the center of an abandoned area, resting on a worn out mattress. he seemed out of breath as if he'd been running away from something. either way, he was not running for the same reason we were.

i extracted myself away from the group and headed towards the shrubs and bushes. flipping open the cool exterior of my canon, i began videoing the boys. namjoon and the boys seemed to have already gotten close to the mysterious figure as they danced and laughed, their giggles filling the air and echoing off the walls of the cotton candy coated skies.

it wasn't long until jungkook took notice of me and called me over. i lowered my camera and gave a slight lopsided smile before jumping off wall from where i stood and joined them.

"taehyung," his name fizzed around in my mouth and rolled off my tongue with ease. taehyung, huh? Before i could protest against his actions, he pulled me into a tight hug. the boys jeered and smiled, dancing around. i smiled too, and it seemed like the first genuine smile i'd had in a long time.

"you can smile as long as we're together."

we ran around and played games, reliving each drop of our lost childhood, but it wasn't long until we grew tired and restless.

we found ourselves at an old campsite, old furniture placed strategically around a fire that crackled and popped, orange flames celebrating with their wild flickering dance. it as if it was left their for us.

the heat from the campfire seemed to have been sucked into the frigid air before reaching our frozen hands. taehyung and namjoon added more wooded to the amber flames and poked it with long sticks. they seemed to have been getting closer as namjoon had shown a lot of affection towards taehyung since they'd met.

the light casted by flames danced across the dark trunks of the trees, twisting and curling in obscure shapes and providing a small radius of light. it was mesmerizing to watch.

as everyone got close and snuggled towards each other, jungkook resting on the disheveled denim of yoongi's jeans and everyone seemed to form their own pairs. i felt this was a great time to bring out the small polaroid of a place that i suggested we should all visit together. hoseok, who was resting beside me, was the first person i showed.

"should we go here?"

he gave a feeble smile and nodded in agreement. i showed everyone from namjoon to jimin and back, and all the responses were positive. no more words were exchanged but the cracks and whips of the forever burning fire that casted warmth unto all our faces filled the silence.

it was settled, we were going there.

— kim, seokjin