CHAPTER EIGHT; Screwed Up Siblings and Shots Fired.

CHAPTER EIGHT

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
- Martin Luther King, Jr.

Juliette

I walk into the cafeteria alone, my stomach flipping and my appetite subsiding. To be honest, I feel too sick with nerves to eat. I don't even know why I'm nervous, other than the fact that I have no where to sit in a cafeteria bustling with people.

Maia, my Chemistry partner from yesterday, has another student council meeting to attend during this period, which leaves me minus one person to cling to.

I step through the doors, weaving my way through the crowds of hungry and loud teenagers and up to the huge line. Strangely, I'm glad it's so long. It gives me time to locate a possible friendly face in the crowd, or a lone, secluded spot in a corner.

I stand behind people I've never seen before, probably Freshman, so there's no hope in trying to build more friendships as I wait. All I can do is shuffle in line and pull at my fraying T-shirt. At least it's a change from my gym attire, which consisted of pieces of goddamn cloth.

That, kids, is why you don't leave your brother in charge of buying your gym clothes from the office.

As the minutes tick by, and the cafeteria fills up more and more with rowdy teenagers, I start to become more and more nauseated. I'm nearing the top of the line, and not a recognisable face is in sight. Not even my brother, as he's starting his first audition into "drama club" today. Which I suspect is just eating lunch in the auditorium.

I'm not angry that he abandoned me, because he didn't. He's made his own friends, something I've yet to do. He's carved his own little niche into the school, while I've been labelled "that girl who went psycho and punched Heath Hayes".

I've been called a lot worse.

I walk with shaking legs at the top of the cafeteria to the lunch lady and watch as she plates up my food and puts it on my tray. I wait in the tiny line, my eyes darting around the cluttered room as I wait to pay. I hand over my money and that's when it really hits, the fact that I have no where to sit.

I know it's stupid, but as my eyes sweep over the cafeteria, I swear everyone is staring at me, silently laughing at me and judging. I feel like my cheeks are on fire as I lick my dry lips. I feel sick, and vomiting would just finish this situation perfectly.

But then a face catches my eye, and I smile shyly at the boy standing up and nodding me over. It's Hoodie Boy – Josh – with his brown hair that curls at the ends and his blue eyes. He gives me a smile, a smile that doesn't help ease my churning stomach, but gives me a little bit of comfort.

My feet slowly lead me over to his table, which seems to be about four giant tables pushed together on further inspection. The gorgeous Latino girl who gave me the evil eyes yesterday sits there, flicking her hair, and a few people from some of my classes do as well. As I near, I spot the nice blonde boy - Cody? - and his friend Ollie, sitting and laughing with their mouths full. Surrounded by stunning and groomed to perfection girls. Nothing like me with my T-shirt and jeans style.

But then my feet stop, and I stare at the table I was halfway to, feeling the churning in my stomach cease and instead be replaced with a stone settling in the pit of it. I clench my hands around my plastic tray, wondering if, for the rest of the school year, he'll dictate everything I'm able to do.

There, sat right in the middle of these four, huge tables filled to the brim with the most beautiful teenagers this town has to offer – the ones who haven't joined any other clubs or sit with their own friends – is Heath Hayes.