"Then you were childhood friends?"

"More or less." Iris wiped the sweat from her head and took a seat on a nearby bench. She didn't necessarily want to tell her life story, as previously stated, but she figured there was no harm in answering a few questions at the get-go. After all, she imagined she would be seeing Hench a great deal in the next few months in the sanctuary. "He's a few years older than I, so I don't have many memories of him from childhood. Just a couple, in fact, before he was sent off to train here. But I did see him a time or two at the annual Harvest Festival after I got engaged the first time. We were cordial then, too."

Hench took a seat beside her. Her eyes gauged Iris curiously. "Engaged? You are married, then?"

Iris let out a short, humorless laugh. "No. I'm not."

"I will not pry further on that," Hench resolved. "You and Possum seemed really good friends at dinner. Didn't peg you for simple acquaintances."

"We're not," Iris said. "Acquaintances, I mean. I saw him after that point too. Way after that point, actually. He actually stayed with me for a while --protected me. All the stuff Guardians do. He helped me become a soldier back when we were fighting Tokens. Kayde and I became very good friends over blades, training, and spilled blood. I wouldn't have it any other way, either. "

"He was the Guardian that helped you, then?"

"He was," Iris answered. "Did you not know? I thought the news-sheets had spilled every aspect of that by now." She sighed, weary from the attention she'd gotten ever since she'd become the Rogue Captain.

"I did not. The men here hardly talk about their missions unless asked. At least to me. And as for the news-sheets..." her eyes darkened. "...I don't get out much." Iris took note of the way her face soured at the words. The rogue had only been here since yesterday and already knew that a lot of the guardians went to the villages nearby. Especially so during the days that they were not training or assisting others. She was curious indeed what kept this guardian here... but like Hench, she did not pry.

"I see," she replied, not knowing what else to say. "Do you have family outside of here?"

"No. Not anymore." The answer from the mighty woman was as direct of an answer as Iris had ever heard.

"I am sorry." Iris's eyes softened. "I lost my family too. Both my mother and father died of sickness."

The words seemed to move Hench, because she took a deep breath in and ruffled the top of her hair. "I see. Well... I'm sorry to hear that, girl. By your tone, I figure you were really close." The woman paused. "You should know that I've had more than one family in my life. Three actually... two of which I was very close with. For lack of better words, it just didn't work out for me in the end. I suppose." She cut off quickly, not wishing to divulge more.

The words didn't make sense. And the way her mentor said them let Iris know that she was definitely better off not pushing the subject. At least... not right now. Iris thought back to what Kayde had said --the bit about where her mentor had first arrived at the sanctuary broken of spirit. Iris figured it had something to do with her "families".

Hench seemed to notice that her recruit was stunned to silence, because her demeanor softened a bit and she gave Iris's shoulder a light squeeze. "Thank you, girl. You will have to forgive my stunted charisma. Your kindness is indeed valued."

"It is fine." The words were the only ones Iris found.

Hench stood from her spot now, smoothing the wrinkles from her robes. "Go take your nap, girl. Find me in two hours. From there, we will begin another aspect of your training."