Chapter 24

*Toby's POV*

Vince and I ran into the hospital and to the nurses station. Just as I was about to ask what room my mom was in, Vince tapped me on the shoulder and pointed. I followed his arm to where my dad was pacing in the waiting room.

"Dad!" I shouted as I ran up to him.

"Toby, thank God." He said as we hugged.

My father and I never show much affection for each other but this was a special case.

He let go and I asked, "How is she? Is she okay?"

"She's still in the OR but I was just informed that she's stable." he said, looking passed me and at an obviously uncomfortable Vince. Dad still hasn't come to terms with the fact that he and I are actually together.

"Dad." I said sternly.

"What? I didn't say anything."

"You don't have to say anything, it's written all over your face."

He looked down. He wants to be okay with this, I know he does but I also know it's going to take time.

We all sit down and I can tell Vince wants to try and comfort me but he's afraid of what my father may think. I reach over and take his hand in mine, giving him a reassuring smile. He gives me a small, yet cheeky, grin. He looked down at our entwined hands and blushed. Even in the hardest times he can always make my heart jump in my chest.

"Mr. Nelson?" We heard and we all looked up at the nurse.

My dad stood, "yes?"

"Your wife is out of surgery. She will be fine, she just needs her rest."

I stood next to my dad, "Can we see her?" I asked, trying to make my voice come off as steady as possible.

"She's sleeping right now but you may sit with her."

We all went to walk to her room when the nurse stopped Vince. "Are you immediate family?"

"I, uh, no." He looked down.

"Then I'm sorry but you can't-"

She was cut off by my father. "He can come in."

Vince and I both looked at my dad with wide eyes and disbelief.

The nurse left and we walked into my moms room. She lied on the hospital bed with a cast on her leg and a neck brace. Tears immediately filled my eyes as I watched the heart monitor. Vince took notice to this and grabbed my hand. I looked down at him and noticed that he was crying too. Mine and his mother had become close so he grew attached to my mom.

We watched as my dad sat down in the chair next to her bed and took her hand in his. He put his head down and began to shake, the occasional sob escaping his lips.

Yes, my parents fought a lot but they work through their problems. They were very much in love, and that was always clear to anyone who knew them long enough. You could see it in the way they looked at each other; the way they spoke about one another while the other was not around; the way that no matter what they were arguing about, they would always smile and kiss to make up, whether the problem was solved or not. I grew up wanting a love like theirs, minus the fighting of course. And as I looked down at Vince, I knew in that moment that I had, fighting and all.