Chapter 3

Chapter Three

We walked down a few more hallways before we reached the kitchen, my nose immediately filled with delicious scents.

"Bo!" my aunt exclaimed, hurrying up to me and enveloping me in her arms. I awkwardly patted her on the back. I wasn't one for accepting affection.

"Hey Aunt Kath," I replied, smiling softly. She pulled away from me, her hands resting on my shoulders as she looked me up and down, tears in her eyes. She looked a lot like Daniel, the same hair, same shaped lips and nose. He got the eyes from my uncle, though.

She gave me a shaky smile. "How are you doing?"

"I'm just dandy, thanks for asking," I snapped at her, my voice laced with sarcasm. I winced as I saw the hurt look on her face. "I'm sorry," I apologized, feeling guilty for being hostile. I was just getting sick of people asking me that.

She waved away my apology, giving me a smile that showed it was okay.

She led me to the table, where Daniel and Uncle Robert were already sat.

Uncle Robert got up from his chair and walked over to me, pulling me into another hug. I patted him on the back as well, a little less awkwardly, because I was expecting it.

"You look well Bo," he complimented when he pulled back, sadness showing clearly in his eyes.

"Thanks," I replied, giving him a half smile, not really sure how to reply.

I was pretty awkward, especially around people I didn't know all that well. Actually, I was just pretty awkward in general.

We took our seats at the table and I gazed at the food laid out before me, my mouth instantly watering. What can I say, I love food. Plus, it was a roast of my favourite kind. Chicken.

"Help yourself," Kath said in amusement, laughing when I dove in and piled roast vegetables and chicken onto my plate.

I hadn't really been eating much since the the loss of my family, and not any proper meals. I only stopped when I heard light chuckles and remembered where I was.

"Sorry," I mumbled in embarrassment, placing my hands in my lap, a blush spreading across my face. I stared down at my plate, at the pile of food there.

"No, no, it's fine, you need to eat, especially with school next week," my uncle encouraged, still slightly chuckling, his green eyes sparkling with an unconcealed happiness.

I had smiled when he'd said it was okay, but it had slipped when he'd mentioned school. A feeling of dread shot through me as I realised I had to make new friends all over again. I groaned internally. I didn't even have my sister with me to bitch about the crappy teachers we'd be given. That I'd be given.

"Uh, yeah. Thank you for taking me in, I'm not really sure what I would've done if you hadn't." I gave them grateful smiles, even including Daniel in it.

"It's absolutely fine, you're family after all." Aunt Kath smiled back at me and reached out and squeezed my hand.

I let out a soft sigh, one of happiness. Maybe things would be okay.

***

The most unsatisfying sound in the world, would have to that of an alarm clock. I groaned as my own alarm went off, and I rolled over and slapped my hand on the snooze button. I was so not ready to get up yet.

I allowed my mind to wander to the dreams I'd had last night. They were about Char, but she'd had these beautiful white wings. A true angel, with her long blond hair, and bright blue eyes. I lay there for a few moments, and then I realised I had school today.