Chapter: 8

¡Hola! I hope you're enjoying the story so far!!! Please vote, comment, and share!!! Thank you for everything, I really appreciate it!!! Thanks!

>>>>>>>>>>>>And the story continues<<<<<<<<<<<

          I woke up, tied to machines. I had to blink multiple times before I could identify where I was. 'The hospital', I thought warily. There were frantic doctors all around me, but there was just one by my bed. "Hello friend", he said, his voice warm. There was a fire-like pain coming from all over my body. I knew what this was. I had to choose.

          "Life or death?" He asked me quietly. I knew what life was. Life was the pain of loss. Life was to face the pain that was inflicted upon me by the demon. But I also knew what death was. Death was finally getting to be with most of my family. Death was leaving David behind to deal with all of the loss and pain. Death was leaving David to days of guilt and blame.

          I closed my eyes and let out a tear. 'I can't take the pain anymore'. The 'doctor' nodded as if he understood. He probably did understand. "If I choose death, will you promise me you'll take care of David? Please don't make him go through this alone if I do choose death". The doctor frowned, "I'm sorry. I cannot make that promise".

          'Sometimes in life, you've got to be selfish, even though you know that you're hurting someone else. Even someone you love. But sometimes, you've got to be selfless. It's your job to know which one is the better choice at the time', said a voice in my head. I wish I didn't have to choose.

And then I was gone.

>>>

          'Everything was too much. Everything was my fault. They wouldn't be dead if it wasn't for me. Addy wouldn't be gone. Grandma Margaret wouldn't be gone. I slipped on the fanciest clothes that I could find.

          I smiled hard as I clipped on the striped tie Addy had gotten me for Christmas back when our parents were alive. The press wanted an interview today. There had never been any excitement in the history of the town, but now all of a sudden, there was, and they wanted to interview me. They wanted to see how I was getting along. They wanted all of the juicy details that would sell their stupid magazines and newspapers. They wanted something other than the weather to talk about to the seniors on the news channels.

          Well, they were going to get a surprise today. I won't cry, or grieve. I will smile for this interview. If only I had never dated Sarah, maybe Addy and Grandma Margaret would still be alive. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. "It's not my fault", I said reassuringly out loud, just like my therapist had told me to do.

          "Everything is going to be alright". I combed my hair back and climbed up to the window sill of my new apartment.

          I stood up on the ledge. 'They will be so surprised', I thought as I looked down. 'I will soon be with my family'. Then I smiled my best smile, and jumped.