Prologue

"So who knows the difference between a beta and an alpha particle," Mr. Fields asks the class.

I look over to see Sodapop, my twin brother, copying off of the smart kid. I look back at my papers to find the answer.

"Babydoll," the teacher says, "can you tell us?"

I feel my face pale, and my ears start to burn. I don't know the answer. Maybe if I stall long enough, the bell will ring.

"Uh, it's a," I say, "the difference is like uh when..."

The bell rings. I get up with Sodapop, and we run out of class. Except....

"Sodapop and Babydoll I'll need both of you to stay back," Mr. Fields says.

Everyone else hurries as Soda, and I stop. We walk back to our desks and look at the teacher.

"So, the other teachers and I have been thinking lately about both of your grades," Mr. Fields says. "We've noticed a small decline in your grades recently. Sodapop you've gone from a C- to an F and Babydoll you've gone from a B- to an F. What is going on with you two?"

We look at each other. The both of us still not ready to accept the fact that it happened.

"Are you going to tell me," he asks. His voice pitched with anger.

"Well," Sodapop says, "a couple of weeks ago our parents were in a car crash and them....they...."

Soda can't continue. He breaks down instantly. His golden blonde hair stays still as his brown eyes fill with tears. I have the same thing except for the tears. The same golden blonde hair and brown eyes are on me.

"Died," I say finishing his sentence.

Soda lets out a sharp, loud cry and I look down at the desk. I hear Mr. Fields curse under his breath.

"Who's watching you right now?"

"A home, until Darrel—our older brother—can be approved."