Chapter 4

B A B Y D O L L

"Baby," Elaine says jumping up and down on my bed, "wake up! We'll be late!"

I get up from the bed and hurry for my closet. Damn, I over slept. I grab my red short shorts and black blouse. I slip those on and take my heels, which are next to my Converse. It's been six months since I've worn those things.

I put those on and hurry down the stairs.

"Tasha," I yell.

"Yes Babydoll," Tasha yells back.

"Can we take the Camaro? We're running late?"

"Sure, you know the rules though."

"Get gas, don't drive fast, and come back before midnight tomorrow!"

"Yes, and if you meet Frankie Valli, tell 'im I'm single and need a husband!"

"Yes, ma'am! Love ya!"

"Love you too. Be safe!"

Elaine and I get out the door and head to the Camaro. Elaine has our bags, and we jump in. I still can't believe we're going to see The Four Seasons. We start the car and head down the road.

"Babydoll," Elaine says, "how does Elaine Gaudio sound?"

I laugh, "Amazing! How's Babydoll DeVito?"

She squeals and we pull into a gas station, The DX. We need food and gas.

"Come on," I say getting out, "I'll get the food you pay for the gas."

S O D A P O P

"Man," Steve says, "two broads. Be careful."

I smile, "Steve I've been working for the last six months, girls come every day, I know how to do this."

Steve laughs and stands next to me behind the counter. The bell on the door rings.

"Welcome to The DX," I say.

A girl with long blonde hair like mine, in a ponytail, looks at me. She's kind of cute in that yellow sundress and the white slip on shoes.

"Hey, I need to fill up," she says.

"Got it! Is that all?"

"No. One moment my sister is coming. Babydoll Iris, hurry up!"

I freeze. Babydoll Iris. It can't be. No, it can't be.

"I'm coming Elaine May."

I look at the girl. Her hair is short like boys, and it's my shade. She shares the same color eyes as me. She's in nutshell shorts and a blouse. Wait, this can't be her. Babydoll always wears jeans.

"Is this good," she asks looking at the girl.

The girl, Elaine May, nods.

"This is it," Elaine says.

"Sodapop?"

I look at the girl. It's her. Babydoll.

"Babydoll."

B A B Y D O L L

I look at him. Sodapop Patrick. I haven't seen him because Tasha made us do home schooling.

"Babydoll," I turn around and see Steve.

Steve is probably the only one of Soda's friends I couldn't stand. He's cocky and just annoying.

"Hey Steve," I say.

"Uh, sister darling," Elaine says, "would you care to introduce me?"

I forgot Elaine was there.