Chapter 7

I look at the breakfast. Eggs, bacon, gravy, and biscuits. There's jelly in the center if we want any. The idea of eating is not on my mind. The memory of last night still gets me.

"Baby," Elaine says, "are you okay."

I look up at Elaine. Her long hair pulled back.

"Yeah," I say, "I'm all right."

The conversation ends. Nobody else talks. Then Tasha looks at the time and notices that it's time for her and Makenna to leave.

After they leave and I hear the Stingray leave, Elaine starts on me.

"Babydoll, what's wrong?"

"Nothing."

"Tell me."

"It's nothing."

"Did something happen with your brothers?"

"No."

"Please tell me."

"I had a nightmare."

"But those don't bother you as much."

"It wasn't the nightmare. It..."

"What?"

"I called her...mom."

»»»

Elaine and I get dressed and go for a jog. I'm in back, and Elaine is in front.

"Okay," I say, "it's time to pick up!"

She nods and pumps her arms faster.

"Tighten your arms!"

She does and continues to go. I look at her go as she continues to speed up. She looks down.

"Don't look down!"

She looks back up.

"Breath through your nose out your mouth...we're going up a hill."

She nods and does what I say as we go up a hill. I fasten my pace, and now I'm beside her. We stay like this until we get tired and start walking.

"So," Elaine says, "how was dinner with your brothers?"

I take in a big breath, "Good. We ate and talked. How was dinner with Michael's parents?"

She laughs.

"Horrible. The food was not cooked all the way, the power went out, his parents asked me about me, and I answered truthfully, which ended the night with them getting drunk, and–—this has to be my favorite part—their dog humping my leg."

I laughed, "It seems the dog has more of a sex life than Michael."

"I know! I mean, Michael won't even make out with me. He says engagement before we go that far."

"That's so stupid."

"It's making me so mad that I can't think."

"I bet. I mean look at you. You're beautiful and deserve something."

"Thank you! Now, we need to find you somebody."

"Excuse me?"

"Well come on, I have a boyfriend, Makenna has a boy who's a friend, and you and Tasha need to find one."

"I'm fin—"

"No! We are getting you one."

"How?"

"There's a party tonight, and you're coming with Michael and me."

"Why?"

"Because."