Chapter 4

Paul paused for a while to rest from all the running he did, as well as trying to comprehend what he was thinking while he ran. He still couldn't understand why he felt that leaving George was a big mistake. But in the midst of his thoughts, a few raindrops fell on Paul's head, signaling him to head back.

But on his way, he saw something.... Or someone attached to a nearby tree. Feeling curious, he walked over to it. "G-George?" As if on cue, the younger man slowly opened his eyes, but it was clear that he was in a lot of pain. His arms had some visible bruises and his face now had a small cut.

"Who did this to you?" Paul asked as he frantically tried to cut through the ropes that attached George to the tree.

"Heather told me parents that I chased you away. They were mad when they saw me. I was tied up so I couldn't do this to anyone else."

Paul gasped. He couldn't believe that George's own parents would just leave him there, just for liking the same gender. After finally undoing the ropes, Paul offered George to stay at his place to make up for the outburst he had earlier. "Is this what normally happens to gays?"

"No. I was only imprisoned because I'm from a royal bloodline. Normally they'll be burned alive if deemed *incurable*. I don't know why we're being treated this way, it's not like I just woke up one morning and now I suddenly take men over women."

"Have you always felt this way?"

"Ever since my birth. I just happened to like men romantically and women just platonically."

The storm got worse as the two walked on, they were soaked from head to toe but didn't stop until they reached the McCartney castle. "Paul? What if they know I..."

Looking back at his frightened friend, Paul put his hand on George's shoulder. "Heather only told me to stay away from you. I'm sure me parents haven't been given that same warning....at least... I hope not."

Trying to relax themselves, the two walked through the gates and into the main hall where they were soon greeted by Mary. "Oh just look at the mess you've made. I'm glad you didn't get yourselves all muddy out there."

"Yeah, sorry about that. Uh.... Mum? Can George stay for the night? He.... Uh..."

"I got lost in the woods and was separated from me parents." George finished, anxiously awaiting for Mary's response.

"Well I don't think the storm would die down until tomorrow. So you're welcome to stay until then George."

A wave of relief passed by the two young men as they headed up to Paul's room. Once inside, they stripped out of their soggy outfits. "Umm.... Paul?"

"Yeah George?"

"Why did you come back for me? Anyone else that ran from me stayed away."

Paul tried not to show that he was blushing by staring at his feet, but he did answer. "I know Heather told me that being gay was bad... I mean, she even considered it a disease, but I believed her nevertheless. But then... After I ran off... Something made me feel that I should have stayed. I didn't know why, I just felt like that. Does that mean.... I'm also like that?"

Scooting over to his older friend, George law his head on his shoulder. Knowing now that he could be affectionate without worrying about being ridiculed. "I suppose so. But I don't think that would make us any different than anyone else."

Paul was still confused at how people would mock others simply for loving the same gender. They were still human and had feelings. "Hey Geo, when did this whole anti-gay thing start anyways?"

George simply shuddered at the question before answering. "That's a very painful memory to me Paul, but I guess you have a right to know about it."

Flashback

I was only about ten when a group called the EBC arrived. Their leader, Father Klein wanted to buy a bit of land to be used as church ground. Me parents agreed and once it was built, we were allowed to attend before anyone else. Then the EBC began talking about what was considered *wrong*, which included being attracted to the same gender, both, all or even neither! They said only heterosexual couples were allowed in their places. They even took like it was a choice to be gay.

It was nothing like the other religious leaders we knew, who wanted everyone to get along despite all differences.

Eventually I found out that I was too, I was scared because I didn't know how people would think of me. I also tried to be attracted to women, but with no luck. But that wasn't as terrible as my parents finding out about who I was.

"-Then me dad took me to that priest who told me that I must be doused in what he calls holy water every time I interacted with men. But before we left, Klein warned me that if I ever influenced anyone, I would receive a worse punishment."

After taking in all that George said, Paul was now shocked to hear what he, and probably any other gay person had to go through. Paul was about to ask another question, but George butted in.

"Can we please just rest now? I can only stay until the storm passes."

"Well.... Okay." Paul agreed. Eventually the two soon drifted off into slumber.