2.1 || No Pain, All Gain

Start from the beginning

Josh grinned mischievously. "I have my ways, huh?"

Tom looked like he wanted to say more, but Darren nudged Josh's shoulder. "Keep moving," he said, an edge creeping into his words now that he didn't have to pretend for the teachers.

Josh rolled his eyes and did just that, though he still heard Tom's muttered "Could use some better company, though." Darren, also hearing, grumbled some of his own choice words about Tom.

Darren trudged the entire way behind Josh, thankfully silent. Or perhaps sadly, as it left Josh alone with his thoughts.

What he had seen after the ball hit him wasn't like anything from before. It left the burning forest for another, calmer one. And he had never seen anyone else until that man. Who was he?

Josh shook his head at himself. It was all a fabrication of his mind. The man wasn't an actual person but his imagination, meaning he wasn't anyone.

So then why did that thought feel so wrong? Almost as if dismissing someone he should be grateful for.

His chest twisted again. He rubbed almost absently at his chest. It wasn't pain, or at least, he didn't think it was. More like a tingling sensation. Heart tingling sensations didn't sound good. Could that have been part of being hit in the head—

An abrupt shove against his back cut off his thoughts. He had a split second to zone into his surroundings before his hands shot forward to land on metal double doors, stopping his body before he collided with them. While he'd been lost in his thoughts, they'd reached the school's back entrance.

And Darren had finally let a storm come out.

Darren spun Josh around and threw him up against the doors. Anger and hatred flared in Darren's eyes as he glared down at him.

"What are you playing at, Davidson?" he snarled.

Josh's instincts prickled as an easy grin slid into place. After all the confusion, he welcomed this situation that he understood. Darren on a rampage. Himself the selected target. Josh could handle this. Had for almost a year, in fact. Aggroing a bully wasn't exactly fun, but it kept Darren away from others, and in that moment, it kept Josh from his thoughts.

He gave a small shrug as he fell into his part. "No idea what you're talking about."

"Oh really?" Darren growled.

Curling a fist around Josh's shirt, Darren yanked him forward. He placed a hand on Josh's forehead and shoved. There was a loud thud as he hit the metal head-first.

An irritating itch tickled the back of Josh's head, but other than that, he didn't feel much.

As Darren lowered his hand, Josh raised his eyebrows. "Ow?" he offered.

Darren's face grew red with rage as he took hold of Josh's shirt with his other hand as well and pushed him further into the door. "Tell me how a soccer ball could make you pass out but me hitting your head off a metal door doesn't even make you flinch," he spat. "Is this you trying to get me in trouble for McKinley?"

Josh had a feeling explaining his own confusion on the matter wouldn't help, so he instead pretended to think. "Nah, I'm just as confused as you are. I don't know. Maybe seeing your ugly face running my way scared the life out of me—"

A fist slammed against his cheek. The impact twisted him to the side, but all he felt was a slight sting.

Glancing back at Darren, Josh smirked and asked, "That make you feel any better? Because I think your coach gave you a place to be. You know, taking me to the nurse. Gotta get my head checked and all."