Chapter 25: Consequential damage

Everything was slowly getting back to normal. Every morning I woke up with Wally's arm around me, and his soft breathing against my neck. I would get up as quietly as possible, and try to get dressed without waking him. Every morning I would fail, and he would suddenly stand behind me. Grinning cheerfully. Some days he lifted me up and carried me back to the bed, where he would force me to lay down and let him kiss me. Some days he just kissed my neck and told me how beautiful I looked. No matter what he did, I would smile and wish we could stay in that small room all day. But we couldn't.

The children were happy to have us all home safe again, and I enjoyed resuming my classes. Wally and I did most of the teaching, since Raven used most of her time talking to the Justice League. They had suddenly started to doubt the value of the school, and so Raven had to sit through countless meetings. Every night after the children were sent to their rooms, we called Nightwing for news. The data, he had collected when he hacked the computer at my father's base of operation, was hard to decipher. He had already used more than a week trying to find out where my father was hiding, or what he was going to do next.

It had been ten days, and I knew something was wrong. Or more likely someone was wrong... me. I hadn't been able to decide what exactly the problem was, but something was different. Raven and Wally told me time and time again that everything finally were back to normal, so I knew they hadn't noticed. I had been trying to figure it out, but when I finally did I wished I hadn't.

I was sitting outside, feeling the grass between my fingers and enjoying how the sun gently caressed my skin. I was watching Anna and Louisa sparring, and I smiled as the two young girls laughed and jumped around. Anna, the daughter of Killer Frost, was trying fries the ground beneath Louisa, But Louisa was not easy to catch. Louisa is the niece of Barbara Ann Minerva also known as the Cheetah. After Barbara turned into the Cheetah she forced Louisa to go through the same transformation. Louisa fled from Barbara after her own transformation was complete, and she became the most hunted person in the Amazon. Luckily for her Raven found her first.

But as most children's games their sparring ended sudden. Louisa jumped at Anna, who was surprised and defended herself without second thought. Anna created a wall of ice, and Louisa hit it head first. She fell to the ground and groaned loudly. Anna threw herself next to Louisa on her knees, crying for forgiveness. As the whole scene was taking place, I stayed seated on the grass. I could see that Louisa felt pain and that Anna needed help too, but I felt no need to help them. No sorrow or sympathy. First I didn't think about it, but then Raven yelled at me from behind. She was running towards me, but she did not look happy.

Raven: "Jinx! Help them dammit!"

I quickly got up and realised what I had done... Or more precisely what I hadn't done! I gasped in surprise, as I looked back at the girls and still didn't feel sorry for them. Raven looked at me disappointed, but she didn't sense my lack of sympathy.

Raven: "What is wrong with you?! Can't you see they need help?"

J: "I... Well I... I don't know..."

She moaned at me with despair, like I was hopeless. Then she turned from me, and focused on the girls. I was standing still like I was frozen, and tears slowly appeared in my eyes. How could I not feel sorry for them?! I loved those girls, and now it was like I didn't care. I turned around and ran into the T-tower, where I had to be careful not to alarm Wally.

I sat in our bedroom for almost an hour and allowed my thoughts to wander. I had to fight the tears back, because both Raven and Wally had their ways of entering a room without the door having to open. And as I expected Wally suddenly vibrated through the door. I straightened my back and breathed deeply, so he wouldn't notice how sad I was.

W: "The door was locked, so I thought I could just... What's wrong? Are you alright?"

J: "I'm fine! Just a long day, and now I' just tired from..."

He didn't let me finish, and instead he kneeled in front of me. I sat on the bed, which placed his head right in front of mine.

W: "Jinx, I can sense that something is bothering you."

I hated the way he saw right through me. Or was I just a bad actress?

J: "Well I... It's just that..."

It was like the words turned to air and evaporated before they could form a sentence. The tears pushed through my blockades, and soon they heated my cheeks. I looked down, and tried to get a hold on myself. I felt the bed sink down beside me, and then the well known warm feeling of his arm embracing me. He stroke my hair, as I cried against his chest. After some time my breathing returned to normal, and I could stop the flood of tears. He dried my cheeks and smiled to me.

J: "I'm sorry."

W: "Don't think about it, the suit is waterproof."

I made a single giggle, and caressed the tight suit on his chest.

J: "That's not the only good thing about it."

His smile grew wider, and he laughed with his lively and loving laughter. Then he leaned closer and gently kissed me. When he pulled back, he rested his forehead against mine and starred at me with his big eyes.

W: "Do you want to talk about it?"

I took a deep breath.

J: "Well I..."

That was all I got to say, before Raven's voice called us over our communicators.

Raven: "Wally and Jinx... You better come in here... Quickly!"

Wally got up and offered me his hand. I took it, and he helped me up before he lifted me up. He flashed us out of the room and to the living room, where Raven was waiting for us. Wally put me down and walk towards Raven, but I noticed Anna and Louisa who were sitting on the couch and staring at me. I had to look away, because I felt a wave of guilt every time I thought about them.

W: "Why the hurry Raven?"

Instead of answering she pointed at the big screen. It showed the live footage from one of the security cameras, but that wasn't the reason for both Wally and I to gasp. What the footage showed was to people waiting in front of the door to the tower. But it wasn't just some people... It was Wally and me.

I looked at Wally, who looked just as surprised.

W: "Computer, turn on the microphone so they can hear me."

Computer: "Establishing connection and activating communication."

W: "Who are you, and what do you want?"

The completely perfect copy of Wally started to laugh, but then my own copy punched his shoulder.

Lucky: "My name is Lucky, and this is Streak. We are here to see our doppelgangers... Jinx and Swift... We were told that they would be here."

Raven: "Doppelgangers? Computer scan for identities!"

Computer: "Error! The scan indicate that the two individuals are residents: Wally West and Jinx. But mentioned residents are also present at: the living room."

I looked closely at the screen, but the two of them was perfect copies except from the cloths. The Streak was wearing Wally's suit but in black, and Lucky was wearing what looked like my old dress but in a new very bright colour.

Lucky: "We have to talk to Jinx and Swift! It's very important!"

Wally turned towards me, and his gaze told me he doubted the whole situation.

W: "Why should we trust them?"

Lucky: "Please!... Tell Jinx... It's about our father from this earth."

My eyes opened wide. Nightwing hadn't been able to find anything yet, and now I was handed a chance. I wasn't going to let it pass.

J: "Computer, unlock the door and show them inside."

W: "What?! Jinx shouldn't we consider our options here?"

J: "Fine... There, I considered! Computer open the door. Bring us to us."