Chapter 1: Nightmares

Father: "You're a disgrace to humanity!"

He grabbed my hair and pulled me from the floor. I didn't have the strength to stand, and the weight of my body felt like the weight of the world in my hair roots.

Father: "It's your fault!"

J: "Father... please..."

With his other hand he hit me in the face. It echoed in my head, and tears were streaming down my cheeks.

Father: "Shut up! Don't speak. You don't deserve to speak. She's dead because of you."

J: "No, father please..."

Father: "I said shut up!"

I screamed, as he threw me through the room. My head hit the wall, and I fell to my knees. My stomach was turning and my head was spinning, but my father just picked up his bottle. He emptied his drink, and then he smashed the bottle against the table. The bottle shattered, and the piece he was standing with was sharp like a knife.

Father: "You killed your own mother."

I was sobbing, and the gaze he sent me was killing. He slowly walked towards me, while he was pointing at me with the bottle.

Father: "She died, and you didn't get a single scratch."

He bowed down and looked me right in the eyes.

Father: "I'll change that!"

He was preparing to hit me with the bottle, and the sharp edges would easily cut my skin open.

J: "Please."

My begging changed nothing. My father's eyes was filled with hate, and that wasn't going to change. I covered my face with my hands and closed my eyes. I could almost feel the pain in advance.

But then I woke up.

I was covered in sweat, and I was inhaling rapidly. I sat up and looked at my hands. The scars were there. A souvenir from my childhood, and a everlasting proof of my fathers... rather violent reaction to my mother's death. I got up and walked towards the door. This wasn't the first night with this nightmare, and I almost expected Raven to stand outside my door. She didn't disappoint. Wearing her purple nightgown Raven was leaning against the doorframe.

Raven: "The same one again?"

I nodded, and she sent me a sweet and comforting smile.

Raven: "Come. I'll make you some tea."

J: "Thanks."

I closed the door behind me, and followed Raven down the hall. I was sleeping in Starfire's old room, which was right next to Raven's room.

J: "Did I wake you?"

Raven: "No. I was meditating."

I nodded. Raven meditated a lot. It was her way to relax and regain her strength. We walked past the empty old Teen Titans rooms, and I took a deep breath. These rooms once belonged to the Titans Cyborg, Beast Boy and Robin, but now they were used as guest rooms. We turned around the corner and walked down the stairs. Raven hold the door for me, and we entered the living room/kitchen.

This room hadn't changed much. A couple more chairs around the table and a bigger couch. Cyborg's big flat screen, Beast Boy's playstation, Ravens tea collection, Robin's computer and Starfire's books about different cultures, it was still here. I sat down at the kitchen table, and Raven prepared the tea.

J: "Did I wake the children?"

Raven: "Not any I can sense, they're all sleeping."

Raven placed the cup with hot steaming tea in front of me.

J: "Something you should be doing to."

Raven: "You don't want me to stay?"

J: "I want you to be well rested for tomorrow."

She lifted her eyebrow.

J: "And I have to think this through alone."

I smiled to her, and she smiled back. She walked around the table and kissed my forehead.

Raven: "As you wish. But remember Jinx, you only have to ask."

I nodded, and she left for her bed. Raven was my best friend in the whole world! We had a rough start, but we quickly learned that we had a lot in common. We understood and trusted each other, and we could tell everything to each other. Raven hated to watch me suffer from lack of sleep, and she offered to help me sleep without dreams. But those night seemed even more dark and scary.

I sipped to the tea. What would I do without her?

I looked out the window, and enjoyed the view. The T-tower on the small island outside Jump City had the best view you could get. I took a deep breath. The pale moonlight made the waves shine, but beside that it was completely black. Or not... It was suppose to be completely dark, but in the distance I could see light.

It was out on the water, so it was properly just a ship. I sipped to the tea again, but I kept starring at the light. It looked like it was moving... Fast. I got up and walked to the big window. It was moving! Huge waves was created which meant it had to touch the water. Nothing flying then.

J: "Computer, scan the water!"

Computer: "A fast moving object is approaching."

My heart started to beat.

J: "What is it?"

Computer: "Scans indicate that the approaching object is: human."

J: "What?!"

But if it was a human, it would have to be a... a speedster. But it couldn't be! The last couple of years I had only seen the speedsters in television.

J: "Give me a picture."

The screen turned on, and a picture appeared. The object was moving too fast for the computer to get a picture. The picture showed a lightning. Definitely a speedster! But who? Reverse Flash had no interest in this place, Impulse had returned to the future, Flash had ignored me for years and Wally... Wally hadn't contacted me, since he left with Flash to become his sidekick again.

Wally hadn't answered any of my texts, mail or calls. Years ago, after being my very close friend and partner, he left with Flash, and he cut me off.

The speedster had reached the T-tower. I wondered if I should open the door, but then he ran up the building. I stepped back, as he flashed up to the roof. I turned around and ran towards the stairs. I had to know who it was!

What did I even hope for? My head told me that it was Flash. He probably came with a mission or something like that. He hadn't talked to me since Wally left with him, but I guess one time had to be the first. But somewhere deep down there was a small but cautious voice, and it kept reminding me of Wally's smile. I cursed the voice. I wasn't mad at Wally, but I had no intension of letting him stay in my life, if he wasn't going to be here in more than just my thoughts.

I slowly opened the door that led to the roof. I took a deep breath, and then I stepped outside. A cold wind welcomed me and the darkness as well. I could see the speedster standing at the edge of the roof, ready to fall... Or run away. It was obviously a man, but he was facing the water.

I thought about clearing my throat to casually announce my presence, but he didn't let me. He turned his head, and when I heard his voice I felt every single emotion stir.

Wally: "Hello Slowpoke."