Perfectionists

~Xavier~

"Adriana is not a show horse I want to parade around town."

Darius wasn't too happy about introducing his other sister.

I poured myself a glass of bourbon and settled on the couch. I wasn't missing any more of this soap opera. I left Daniel alone for fifteen minutes and apparently now I was engaged to the leech's sister.

Or rather, Daniel was. As me.

Lady Alexandra Azaria had only spared me one glance.

Those pouting lips were practically crafted for kissing.

Lucky bästard.

"I know she isn't." Daniel said, patronising. I wondered since when Daniel and patronising went together. "Can you blame me for following the rules? Ladies get married by order of age, right?"

See, Danny was pretty insistent on seeing the elder Lady Azaria. I hadn't seen him this desperate since we were six and I refused to share my Hershey bar.

What? I was a greedy child.

"Of course, I can blame you!" Darius yelled. His knuckles were white on his cane. "I came here offering Alexandra. You'd rather hurt her?"

"No, of course not -"

"And she's her twin. What could possibly matter by a couple of minutes?"

Hated to admit it but the leech did have a point.

"Alexandra is lovely." Daniel said, smiling at her. "It's just that I don't know how appropriate this is. An arranged marriage has traditions. I don't mean to be rude but already there are rumours -"

I didn't know if it was what he said or what he did that made Darius bare his fangs. In one smooth motion, the cane transformed to a blade and he was holding it against Daniel's throat.

Good thing I was doing the same to his.

"Not so fast, Your Highness." I said, stifling a yawn. "Unless you want to choke on your own blood. I hear it's rather unpleasant."

"Who the fück are you anyway?" Darius hissed.

"A friend." I shrugged. "Nice cane, by the way. Could be great to butter toast."

Darius glared at me, as Daniel sighed.

"Darius." He said, looking at Alexandra. "I agree. If she'll have me, that is -"

Darius didn't let her get a word in, dropping his blade in favour of clasping his shoulders in a celebratory hug.

I put my weapons away with a sigh.

There was nobody I'd have enjoyed slicing up more.

Darius went off on a happy tirade about wedding plans, Alexandra standing quietly next to him. I noticed that Daniel gestured for her to sit a couple of times but she refused with a shake of her beautiful head.