Bloodsucking royalty

~Daniel~

When you're pretending to be the Prince of a country, you never forget two things.

A) You can't be late. Ever.

And B) your underwear probably costs more than your old house.

So it's never a good thing when you lose them.

"Stay a little longer, your highness."

The words were accompanied by a drunken giggle from the woman in my bed. Her body was wrapped in the sheets, blonde hair a mess and brown eyes half closed with sleep or maybe alcohol.

I couldn't guess her name if it was three letters long and I was at gun point.

Way to go with another self destructive hook up, Danny.

Sighing, I removed her fingers from mine, eyeing the bedside clock.

Well, shît. There goes rule number one.

I quietly got off the bed, trying to find my clothes. Ten minutes later, I stepped out of the hotel room in my black suit, no sweat.

Yeah. I was terrific at this.

Which was fücking pathetic, really.

Two bodyguards joined me the minute I stepped outside. Because being Immortal didn't mean I couldn't be kidnapped, drugged, tortured, mutilated -

It was a long list.

I walked to the elevator, went downstairs and headed for the lobby.

Marcus was waiting. He didn't bow or kiss my ring or try any of that royal nonsense.

Bless his soul.

"You're late, sire."

"I know, Marcus."

"You've got an appointment, sire."

"I know, Marcus."

"You're missing a sock, sire."

"I kno- wait, what?"

He arched a brow, eyeing my left foot. I groaned. Fantastic.

Marcus smiled, and walked me to the car. He gestured to a hidden compartment in the seat.

"You'll find everything you need in there, sire."

"You mean a moral compass or a shred of self respect?" I challenged.

He laughed. "A sock. There's socks and ties in there, D."

I couldn't help smiling. Marcus knew about our 'arrangement'. I haven't heard my real name in twelve years, except from Xavier. I haven't had friends, seen my family, or actually talked to a person out of my own free will.

Truly, I was surprised I hadn't gone fully insane yet.

Probably because Marcus humoured me occasionally by not acting like a programmed robot.