Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

He had just finished hunting and was heading back to the house. After last night he needed as much strength as possible, and even though he got less than with human blood this would definitely help.

When he heard the crack of a twig he immediately stopped in his tracks. After years and years of hunting in forests just like this he had learned to recognize sounds. That sound was definitely not natural; there was someone in here with him.

Stefan’s suspicions were confirmed when he heard the whoosh of air that someone moving very fast made. Humans couldn’t move nearly fast enough to make a sound like that, which meant whoever it was, they were a vampire.

“Who’s there?” Stefan shouted looking all around trying to catch a glimpse of whoever it was.

However before he could do anything two hands hit him in the chest and sent him flying across the forest floor. His hest ached where the hands had struck him and a second after he land whoever had attack him was pinning him down. Even though she had made the typical transition from human looking to monster he recognized her immediately.

It wasn’t possible, Katherine had burned in the church in 1864, he had watched them capture her then carry her away. Her hair still fell in ringlets around her shoulders; her skin was the exact same colour and still had no blemishes whatsoever. The only thing that had changed was her clothes. Instead of her dresses she was wearing tight jeans that clung to her legs like a second skin, a purple top adorned with jewels that was only slightly covered by a fitted leather jacket.

“Miss me?” Katherine asked.

“Katherine,” Stefan asked, his voice full of shock, he had never been as good as his brother at masking his emotions, “is it really you? How is it possible?”

Katherine smiled; her smile was the same too. A mixture of sweetness and deviance that made you want to smile along with her. “That Stefan is a tale for another time. Just know that I didn’t burn in the fire and I certainly didn’t rot in that tomb.” She said the last words with her nose wrinkled.

“What tomb?” Stefan asked.

Her face had long ago returned to normal and she straightened up and allowed Stefan to do the same before she answered, “you and your brother knew all about the plan the townspeople had to capture all the vampires. I believe you father told you both of the plan to capture us and lock us in the church before they set it on fire. A couple days before they rounded all the vampires up Damon went to Emily and begged her to find a way to keep me safe. So Emily created a tomb, it was hidden under the church and all the vampires were able to safely hide in it as the church burned.

However Emily knew what would happen if the vampires were allowed to escape. So to stop the brutality she sealed the tomb to stop all vampires from leaving it. I’m a little fuzzy about the finer points of the necessary steps that need to be taken to reverse this spell but I do know that, that is exactly what Damon is trying to do. He came back home to Mystic Falls to get into the crypt so that he could save me...too bad I don’t need saving. His obsession with me ever since 1864 has been most annoying, but I do have to admit I was hurt when you seemed to forget about me. But then I saw your latest girlfriend and I knew it couldn’t be true, there was no way you had forgotten me.”

Stefan shook his head and told her with utter conviction, “Elena is nothing like you.”

Katherine laughed, her laughter was high and musical and like her smile it was infectious. After her peals of laughter faded to silence she said, “what if dear Elena was turned into a vampire, you think she would stay so innocent, or do you think she would become like me?”