~ Thirteen ~

"Amelia?"

"Yeah?"

"Did this actually just happen? You aren't one to throw your hat into the dating game at 16. Whatever happened to what you always said about young love? You were skeptical on love and well now this. What is this?" He says as he pulls back and sits on his bed.

Eventually, I sat down next to him and took his hand and held it and leaned my head into his shoulder. "Yes it happened. So what? I never said I loved you. What do you want this to be?"

Falling back on his bed, we stare up at the ceiling, before folding in near each other. You did it! I am so proud of you, but don't do anything other than kiss. I see and know everything. Shut up. Shifting our bodies closer, to where we could feel the heat between us, we began to kiss again. "You never said you didn't love me." He then gets up and pulls me to my feet and I just let out a laugh; when he picks me up and holds me in the air. "Jake de Beauchamp! Put me down!" I laughed and then continued with, "I like you! Put me down! I like you, okay! Geeze!"

The way he looked at me was like something you read in a book and watch on TV - but this was real. It wasn't scripted or fake. Never in a million years did I see this happening. The day I thought I was drowning in bad luck - turned out to be the luckiest day of them all. Tonight was evidence that my luck was surely on the right page again; and I couldn't be happier. "Like me? You only like me?"

"Yeah. It's going to take some getting used to you and the idea of you - before I'll ever say love." I laugh as I dangle in his hands; where my feet weren't touching the ground. "You know if you drop me...I may never say that dreadful word." Glancing back at me with a wicked smile, I tuck my face into my hair and shed a glimmer of a smile. "Was that a smile? Is this evidence that you may indeed love me one day?"

Girl! You finally kissed him. Yeah -so? Now what are you going to do about it? A kiss isn't going to make him stay. Are you implying that I sleep with him to make me stay? Are you even my brain? That is psychologically insane - you know? I never said sleep with him; but maybe make it official or something to that effect. Mind your own business. I know exactly what I am doing; and you can roll your genius eyes all you want; but I know what I am doing!

"One day. When I am older and wiser beyond my years. What? You think I will say it before I am out of high school?"

"The thought did cross my mind. I mean, you changed your mind about me and kissed me in my room on a school night - and now here we are. You like me." He laughs as he spins us around in his room; when I let out a shriek and hear footsteps come stomping up the stairs.

The door swings open and the sign falls off the door; and his parents are in their pajamas and are staring at me. "We heard a scream. You kids alright?"

Jake's face went from happy to highly pissed off and embarrassed and sad in a matter of 10 seconds; and he slowly puts me down and lets go of me. I knew I shouldn't have come. You did what you thought was right. His mom said to go up here; and I think she was thinking something else might happen. Ew. Just the thought of that, Brainy. No. Too soon. I should leave.

"I should be uh - going. Overstayed my welcome."

"Don't leave. Please stay."

"No I should really be going, Jake. It's late and it's a school night. If I am over here way too long - my parents will kill me. I like you and can't wait to see you in homeroom and psych tomorrow, but I should be going."

"Stay. She screamed because I spun her around in the air; because I was happy. No intruders here - unless you stay."

"Jacob Thaddeus Orion Carter de Beauchamp! If she wants to leave, she will. And she probably should, because it is a school night. Sorry we ruined whatever was going on up here, but we're your parents. Whatever we say - goes. Amelia it was so nice to see you again. Wait, why was she in your arms?"

Could this get anymore awkward? I was alone in his room just five seconds ago; and now his parents kind of ruined the moment. I should leave. If I stay, his parents would watch us like a hawk and it would ruin everything. If I don't stay - he might feel like I have chosen their side or something. I love his name. Don't you? If you go - he won't want to date you. Stay, but if you do go - he may do something spontaneous. Thanks.

"Mom! Don't use my full name in front of her. She already has hesitations about me; probably because of our argument at school and because I made her cry; and also kicked her out earlier."

"Are we embarrassing you Jake? Remember that's what parents do."

"Jake. I love your names, but I have to go. My father just texted me in all caps. If I don't go right now - he'll send me to private school." I say as I flip the phone to him and then I grab my bag off his bed; and rotate through his parents; and run down the stairs.

No goodnight kiss.

"Ames! Ames! Hold up! Don't leave yet! Wait! Ames!" shouts Jake as he clobbers out of his room and run downstairs as I am out the door. "Jacob! You are going to hurt her! Do not break her heart!" "Listen to your father. Don't run away from us. Let her leave!"

"Did you want something?"

"Yeah. I wanted this." He says as he pulls our faces in together; and our lips part as the saliva meshes with each others and I just wrap my arms around his waist and smile.

"I had to do that?"

"Why?"

"Because I didn't want to lose you."

"You aren't losing me anytime soon."

"Good to know."