~ Eight ~

My heart starts beating faster and faster within my chest; and I finally collapsed onto his mahogany wood floor; and everything went dark. I could feel the heat in my cheeks and the droplets of sweat forming on my forehead. The ground was cold against my arms and legs; as the numbness was slowly vanishing from my body. Someone was screaming; which made the pounding in my ear intensify significantly.

Blobs started forming in my sight of vision and the echos of voices started getting louder.  Voice. One voice. "Amelia. Oh my god Amelia. You look terrible. Amelia. Mel. Aimee." My mind was still fuzzy and the edges of my sight were fuzzy as well; and I started to move my hand; which was grabbed by someone's bigger hand.

"Oh god. You better not be dead. You can't do this to get attention. Wake up. Come on. I don't want to lose you. If you wanted to leave - you should have just said so. Sweet girl, wake up. You're starting to drool."

In a hazy and drearily way, I whispered, "I am not drooling." Blinking my eyes, I force myself to sit up and rub the back of my head as I turn to him. "You're the one with the crazed eyes. Have you had your rabies shot yet? "

"Still haven't lost that humor yet."

I struggled to get up as I grabbed onto one his shelves; but began to wobble and fall - but Jake caught me. "Sorry."

"For what?" I question as I sat in his lap.

"I don't know."

Closing my eyes, I feel him just hold me in his arms as I regained my strength and stability. He cares. I should be pissed out him; and I peek my left eye open and glance up at him; and I smile. That's when I felt my cheeks go pink. He then, scoops me up and places me on the bed; while he sat down in the chair that squeaked when he sat; and just stared at me daringly and protectively.

Turning to my side, I close my eyes and think about what has happened. A jock that wasn't a complete douche. Shocking, but it is true. I have literally fallen for this guy. Not good. Opening my eyes, I see him on his phone. Typical.

Smiling I say, "Typically when a girl is in your bed, you are not playing on that toy."

"My phone is not a toy."

"Well there's no point to go to school now."

"You could stay."

He did it again. Wow - you're really falling for Sir de Beauchamp. Kiss him. He won't see it coming.  Not a chance.

"Aimee. Did I scare you when I asked you to stay?"

"Yes." I say as push myself to sit up; still aching and weak from earlier.

Jake walks nonchalantly over to me and sits next to me on the bed; and pushes the blonde sliver of hair to behind my ears and I turn away and blush. Taking his hand, I hold it in my lap and just look at him. "Why? Why ask me to stay?"

"Because I like you."

Narrowing my eyes as I zone in more on him; as I tried to figure him out. "Why?"

"Why not? You are a million things and I can't just limit myself to just a few. When I am around you, I feel like the outside world is silent and numb; and that it is only us."

Snickering I reply with, "Now you've gone to far. You are lying. Guys don't just come out to a girl and say that they like them. It just doesn't happen. Take it back."

The room went silent as we stared at opposite spots around the room; and I started wiping my palms on my jeans; and he kept twiddling his thumbs. I could hear him chewing on his lower lip as he stared at the stack of papers on his floor; that sat next to his waste basket. He then turns to me and grabs my sweaty hand; which I jolted away quickly; and exit his embrace by sitting back up on the bed.

Still sitting on the floor, he glances up a me with his soft, sadden eyes. "What?"

"I'm not lying. I don't know why every single girl thinks that when a guy says that they like them; that they assume that we're lying - that we're out for one thing. What if we actually are telling the truth? I do, in fact, like you Lady MacMurrough. Think whatever it is that you want - but that's the god honest truth. If you want to leave, then go. Get out of my sight, since apparently my feelings don't matter or don't exist. Just leave. Thanks for my work - but get out of my room. I hate that you continue to stereotype people; and for one thing I hate people like that. I don't want to be stereotyped as the jock with no feelings - who just wants sex with anyone he can have sex with. Grow up, Aimee. I like you. I really like you, but my feelings aren't real. So leave! Now!"

He sounded sincere and genuine; and my heart took a devastating plunder and I got up off of his bed.  No words were said after his blow up which I am partly to blame; and I took off and ran down the stairs and shouted to his parents, "Thanks for letting me stop by. I have to be going and getting back to school. See you around. Hope he feels better."

"Bye sweetie." They shouted as they waved good-bye to me. Then I was out the door, with tears swelling again in the corners of my eye. By this rate, I will have no more tears left. I just got a intense reality check. I told him he didn't like me, but I guess I was wrong. Big time and I just broke his heart. Nico was right. Everyone was right. It's all my fault. I hurt people. I don't think that they are ever telling the truth about liking someone. I guess that's one of my biggest flaws I have.

After wiping my tears away, I glance up at his window and see it swing shut; and I hopped into my car and fled back to school.