TANNER'S CAFE

Monday 18th of January 2016

Luke cracks up laughing beside him. ''hi Dawson.'' Tyler stops groaning and I see they're both in black basketball shorts and vest tops. ''Hey Luke.'' Tyler interrupts, ''I'm sorry, but can we talk... I want you to meet someone.'' He shakes his head, ''well... two actually,'' he corrected himself, leaning against Luke.

''Tyler I'm working.'' I shrug in sorry, glancing over his shoulder to see Colton sat on the window seat with another boy.

''Of course you are darling, but there hasn't been a new customer since billy came in an hour ago,'' Ava addressed me coming up to us from behind the counter where the kitchen is. ''Hey boys, how are your mothers doing?'' Ava questions them, they both smiled hi and told her they're both doing well.

''-so go sit down, while I bring you all a new batch of mint chocolate chip cookies from the oven.'' She knew I couldn't turn down anything mini chocolate, so I came out from behind the counter and stood in front of Tyler without arguing.

I moved a bit reluctant when Tyler pulled me with his other empty hand in the direction of the window. Suddenly I began feeling self-conscious with how I must look from being at school, then work without looking in the mirror. My hair suddenly felt like it is falling out it's bun.

Tanner's Café is how you would expect a warm, comfortable café to be, it's design is a mix of wood and silver plating. With a red uniform, I liked.

Once we reached the wooden table, I see the sun burning through the glass window, straight into my face so I moved my gaze downwards. What's Tyler up to?

Before we sat down Tyler coughed getting both of boys attention. Oh, this must be Colton and Declan. I look to the one on the right who seem a lot older, as the one on the left looks a little bit younger, they both have the same dark hair colour. They both have the same golden skin tone and strong jaw.

Tyler brought me out of my thoughts by letting go of my hand, gesturing to the Colton. ''Dawson this is Colton, you meet- briefly.'' He just looked at me, his face sullen, unblinking, his eyes darken, making me feel uneasy, thinking he already knows everything about me.

''And this is Declan.'' I was still looking at Colton in confusion, but blinked away to face his older brother. Declan gave me a smile. I gave Declan a small smile while I sit down in front of Colton naturally, but I didn't know where to look as I felt his gaze upon me. Tyler and Luke sat beside me.

Tyler nudged me with his shoulder, he beams asking quietly, ''you ok?'' No I'm not ok, this is so awkward, I wanted to say but I reply with, ''I'm fine Tyler.''

''What did you say?'' Came from the other side of the table. I was confused until I fixed my eyes up to Colton, his eyes unreadable, I could see they were a little black underneath from lack of sleep.

Tension filled the air sucking out the rest of the room and my mood. ''Shut up Colton, you're being an idiot.'' Colton rolls his eyes, ''Sorry about him, he's moaning because I dragged him out with me this morning and he's had no sleep.'' Declan told me with a smile.

Colton then cleared his throat, ''so it was your idea to egg our house last night?'' he asks raising his brow.

I cleared my throat to reply, but Tyler beat me to it. ''Hey, watch it Colton, she jokingly suggested it to make me feel better and I planned it, she didn't want to do it, it took me forever to get her to do it, so stop being a jackass.'' Everyone nodded along agreeing with Tyler. I just wanted to get back to work, or for the table to swallow me up.

Ava came over placing a jug of milk down with a big wooden plate piled with cookies just in time. I breathed in the Aroma that intoxicate my all senses making me forget where I was for a second.

''Thank you, Ava!''

''You're so welcome darling, you guys enjoy now,'' Ava smiled meaningfully at us all before leaving. We all picked up a cookie each, not speaking for a couple of minutes as we enjoy them.

''So Declan, how's college and Mia?'' Luke questioned, starting up a conversation once he finished eating his piece.

''I'm going to the restroom.'' I announced after about half an hour of small talk, with me just nodding along, answering when asked a question.

Everyone nodded.

After I finished my business, I walk up to the mirror. I observe myself for a minute, I knew I wouldn't look nice as I take in my exhausted features, probably from not getting any sleep, plus I was right about my hair. It's become loose from its bun and now you could see some of my layers starting to fall, framing my oval shaped face. I sigh.

Once I walked out of the swinging bathroom door, I found Tyler was there waiting for me. ''You okay Dawson?'' I frown, he's asked me that twice now but, nodded.

''I'm so sorry!'' Tyler apologies as he moved until he got right in front of me, his face full of guilt.

I stand shocked, I look into his sad eyes, ''why are you sorry?''

''Well, I thought you might have been ready, you know... to meet Luke's brothers.''

''Is that why you're upset?''

''Yes, you looked so small at the table... I knew what I did was a bad thing.''

''You were just trying to help Tyler, I did enjoy meeting them, just warn me next time, don't take me off guard like that, ask me beforehand please.'' I suggested. ''Ok, I will,'' He promises. His face still full of guilt. We started to go back into the dining area, but I couldn't see any sign of any of the Reed brothers. Did they leave? ''They needed to leave, their mom called asking them to come home.'' Tyler claimed.

I dipped my head in understanding, not quite believing him, but grateful they were gone so I could get back to work. ''I'd better get back to work, call me tomorrow and we'll do something together and invite Luke,'' I noted giving him a fake smile while picking up the leftovers, suddenly not in the mood.

''I will Dawson, but I can stay, keep you company if you want?'' Tyler asks, his tone brightening.

''No, it's ok,'' I lightly say, nodding at Olive who is standing behind the counter, she must have come in when I was in the toilet, she's Ava's granddaughter who's a twenty-year-old student who works with me.

I finally reach the kitchen and turn to Tyler to see him nod, agreeing. We said bye to each other.

Now in the kitchen, I see Ava is facing the sink while she sang along with a guy with a rich but sad tone singing about life as well as feelings of someone passing on. She heard me come in and turns to concentrate on my face. Her eyebrows slightly drawn downward, she stops singing.

''Do you want to talk about it, darling?'' Ava asks, worry in her tone as I put the dishes at the side of her, I shake my head not being able to speak. I just want everything to be normal, I never want Tyler to feel upset or guilty about something, he's only trying to help me.

Ava cleaned her bubbled filled hands on the red dish towel with her logo at the centre, she opened her arms wide. Taking a shaky breath, I stepped into her waiting arms resting my head on her shoulder. I broke down as she rubbed my back, the sad man was whispering by this point, a guitar playing softly in the background.

This was kind of another tough chapter to write, I think they're getting harder and harder but I like a challenge. Tell me that you think of Colton and Declan and the emotions you felt when you read this chapter!

Don't forget to vote and comment! 

thanks for reading.