And Spencer had screamed.

"He's not dead yet," said Elle quietly. "We haven't been allowed to see him, he's been in surgery, said Ma. But he's not dead."

"Do you know... what happened?"

"To him? No. She didn't tell me yet."

Hunter was quiet. "Maybe you should go out there. Help her calm down, then bring her back if she's willing. Just... just tell me that Spence is okay."

"Yep." She left the room to find Ryan sitting on the floor, taking great, shuddering breaths as she sobbed into her knees. "Ma," she said softly. "Ma, come on."

"I can't," she sobbed. "Damn it, Elle, it's too much..."

"I know, Ma, I know," she said quietly. "But Pa needs you."

"Pa can- he can just go- he can-" She broke off, crying again, until she heard a quiet voice.

"Ry?"

"Don't," whispered Ryan, but he kept talking. "I know it was stupid. And I know this is my fault. And I'll never, ever stop blaming myself. But darling, I... I need you."

"You don't give a damn about me."

"I do."

Her breathing was unsteady. "You're using me."

"I'm not, my dove."

"You're just using me because you want another child. Do you want two, now, to account for- for-" She sobbed quietly, unable to even say his name. "My poor little lark..."

"Please," he whispered, and Elle could hear how choked he was. "Please come back."

Her eyes closed, and she seemed to be in deep thought. Finally, she stood up, and she walked shakily back into the room. Hunter just looked at her. She reached out and gently touched his face. "How are you feeling right now?" she asked softly.

He shook his head. "My head is killing me. And... w-whiplash. And I'm thirsty."

"I'll get a nurse," said Elle, standing up and walking out.

They sat in silence for a short while, Ryan softly stroking Hunter's hand while he stared ahead. They said nothing to each other- to be truthful, there was nothing to say. Eventually, Ryan started speaking softly.

"You've got three broken ribs," she said quietly. "Your leg, too. You've punctured your lung, and you've got some internal bleeding."

"And Spence?"

"Crushed ribs, punctured lung, broken leg and arm, a fractured skull... brain damage... his spine has dislocated in some places, he'll need physio... the doctor said... he might not survive. The trauma... it's too much for a three year old."

Hunter closed his eyes, wincing, and Ryan kept talking softly. "This was my fault."

"Don't blame yourself."

"It's true. I'm the reason that you went out and picked him up."

"I was meant to pick him up anyway-"

"But you were drunk. You wouldn't have remembered, had I not... reminded you."

"This was my fault, alright? Don't blame yourself. You've done nothing wrong."

She looked into his eyes, feeling tears spring to her own eyes. "That whole time in the waiting room... all I could think was that if you... you had died... and I didn't even kiss you goodbye this morning... and we fought before I left..."

"Don't think about that now," said Hunter softly. "We're okay. We're gonna be okay. If Spence is anything like you, then he'll fight. You know he will."