4: The Day Of

I awoke on the coach in a cold sweat, an awful rush intoxicating my body. Something was wrong. I could just feel it.

I froze in that uncomfortable sitting position, an unfortunate habitat I had obtained in the act of me being scared shitless.

A note was left on the coffee table. I gently picked it up, the fear feeling washing away in tiny but significant waves.

Ambris,
I dropped your car off. I tried to wake you up but you were out cold. Please call me when you read this :)
Darren

As I set the note back down, the sudden but harsh noise of a drawer opening caused me to gasp a little louder than anticipated and I froze again, my eyes wide and my hands gripping the green love seat. The feeling crashed back into my frail corpse.

The drawer was rummaged through by whatever had constructed the noise and tears started to form in my eyes while my throat tightened.

What the hell is in my kitchen?

Cautious footsteps followed the sound of the drawer being closed again and I looked towards the kitchen. It could be anyone. Mindi, Naomi, Darren. A complete stranger. I wanted so badly to call out Darren's name and see him pop up and explain that he had just dropped the car off and was looking for something but the chances were extremely slim to leap upon that option.

The footsteps traveled away from my current spot, the living room, and out of the kitchen it sounded like. I had to do something. I couldn't just sit here and anticipate my fate.

My body unwillingly lurched forward until I was in an upright position, eyes wide, fists clenched. I began to tiptoe toward the kitchen, each step seemingly ear shatteringly loud, making me cringe. You're going to die this person is going to kill you and you're going to die.

I tried to push the annoying thoughts out of my mind but sadly, I was unsuccessful in any attempts. They kept flooding my head, rambling on and on. I wanted to wrap my hands around my ears as if it would help but my limp arms were frozen by my sides.

After what seemed like miles of tip toeing, I reached the kitchen, which oddly looked unscathed. I held back pathetic whimpers and slid a drawer open just enough so that I could grab a steak knife out of the set my mom had bought me last year. Thank god for steak knifes.

I shakily grabbed it, tapped the drawer closed, and left the kitchen, standing in the hallway to my bedroom. The knife almost slipped out of my sweaty palms several times and I stopped when a heart stopping shatter occurred in the kitchen, six feet away from me.

I completely froze, my eyes becoming wide and flooding with tears while my mouth trembled in fear. The thoughts ran through my mind once more, causing me to give up faith.

I had to turn around and face whatever was in my house or I was better considered dead. I covered my mouth, whispering curses to myself when I faced reality. I most likely would not live. I squeezed my eyes shut and attempted to regain control of my body, placing two hands firmly on the knife.

Building up courage for what seemed like months, I finally leaped around the corner, into the kitchen and involuntarily screamed in terror. But I was soon surprised by the sight of..... nothing. Whatever was there was no longer there. "Hello?-" I began, but hands wrapped themselves around my mouth and waist, causing the tears to flow even harder from my swollen eyes, the knife clattering to the floor.

Whoever was in my condo was now right up on me.

I could tell it was a man, his larger body pressed closely to mine. The thought of him against me made me cry harder. What was he gonna do to me...? The thought killed me as his lips pressed against my ear cartilage, his hot breath seething through my skin.

I began to scream in his presence. I didn't care if I was muffled by his large hands or if my screams only made his lips curve up on my ear, I just wanted him off me.

"Shhhhh baby girl. Keep quiet. I definitely won't be hurting such a pretty thing as you."

I began to kick and almost collapsed, the feeling of fainting swarming me. He caught me as I slowly began to fall and hoisted me to the couch. The whole time I was kicking and punching and screaming. Doing anything I could. I was regretting not going to Naomi's and I regretted leaving so suddenly from Mindi and Darren. I regretted everything I had done wrong. Finally, I realized all the fighting wasn't doing a thing and he set me on the edge of the couch, sitting across from me. I could finally see him.

Yes, it was him. The guy in the black hoodie from Subway. The one who ran into me. The one with the spellbinding eyes.

I had only caught a glimpse of him before but now that he was front and center in my view, I could admire how sculpted he was.

His hair was perfectly swooped up, and his teeth fit so nicely along his lips, and his-WAIT. YOU NEED TO FOCUS.

I flung myself out of my chair and attempted to run out of the house. But, before I got far along my quick scheme, he firmly grasped my shoulders, sitting me down in front of him.

"Look," he started to speak softly to me, like I was a kid. "I'm not going to hurt you, but I need to explain a lot." He then started to....laugh. I was extremely puzzled by this boys motives. "Let me start off with my name." He introduced.

"Hi, I'm Brendon."