17: Where Was It That We Last Left Off?

Clink. "Yeah, and then there's this one lady at work," Clink. "and she passed Chlamydia to the boss so now we all know," Clink. "who's been sleeping with who, which is not very professional in my opinion," Slurp. "except everyone acts like it's no big deal that the boss, who is respectable and handsome, is sleeping with the prostitute desk lady. Is life just some twisted Fifty Shades Of Grey movie, I mean-"

"Mom," I interrupted, saving her from choking on her cereal, alongside the words that were falling out of her open mouth. "Slow down."

She raised an understanding hand in surrender and set her glasses on the table. "Sorry, sorry, it's just that that slutbag of a receptionist is stealing my  love interest, I mean of course if he knew I existed, maybe I'd be the root of the rumors instead of her. But do I want that? I mean I really don't know, It could b-"

"I'll take this," I raised from my seat and snatched her cereal bowl, rescuing her from suicide by cereal. 

"Anyways, I'm done. My tongue might fall off if I speak another word. So, love, what are the plans for to-"

Two rings of the doorbell snipped our conversation short. My precarious mother first spied through the peephole, confusion lining the wrinkles scattering her face. "Hello?"

"Hey Ms. Agari, nice to meet you, I'm Mason Acuster," I recognized his voice from the living room, musty like kool-aid powder. "Is Ambris home?"

I met his irises, and knew that my mother would've recognized Brendon by now, but somehow, she hadn't. Her glasses. I slyly snatched them from the table, dipping them behind my back, and into the top right drawer of the dresser.

"Yes... Who did you say you were again?" My mother looked small under his stature.

"Mason, Ambris hasn't told you about me yet?-"

"Heyyyy, Masoooon...." I budded in from around the corner, the words sliding off of my tongue and splatting against the floor. "What are you doing here...?"

"Well I'm only here to pick up my true love, did you forget our plans?" Brendon bubbled over. 'My true love.' I almost gagged.

"Ambris! You never told me you had a boyfriend!! And a handsome one at that. Iwasn'tpreparedforthisIprobablylooklikeanoldrat! YoucancallmeWendy, I'mAmbris'mother. Wow,I'msoexcitedAmbrisfinallyfoundagoodboy!" 

I'm surprised my mother hasn't choked on her tongue yet. Death by talking too fast.

"Oh right," I falsely remembered. "Our plans!" I attempted to react quickly by running to my room, throwing jeans and an oversized t-shirt on, grabbing my phone, and sprinting back to the front door.

"-almost 6 months." Brendon's mouth emanated from the doorway. Mom looked eagerly pleased. 

"Well I guess I'll just have to see you two love birds another time," She smiled between us and then a look of confusion passed her face. "Wait, I need my glasse-"

"Ambris, we better get going. The movie starts in 20," Brendon spoke, stumbling the words from his mouth.

"Oh," My mother stopped in her tracks, turning back around. Brendon snuck a hand around my waist, a sickly grin forming upon his lips. "I won't hold you two up, then. Have a good time Ambris!"

And with that, we were gone. 

|~|~|~|~|~|~|

"Stop sign," I spoke from the passenger, but Brendon sped ahead anyways, leaving his cares with the road sign.

"Oh, excuse me, it's not like I'm a criminal or anything." Brendon laughed, one hand lazed over the top of the steering wheel. "Have some fun, love."

He cackled some more as my face turned into that of wretchedness. "Ew, no, okay."

"I'm just pulling your strings, baby cakes. Anyways, how've things been?" Shades covered his cloudy eyes and he smelled of wood.

"Umm... Okay, I guess. I had this really weird kinda blackout thing the other day when this guy came to fix my mom's computer. That was weird. And th-"

"What was the guys name?" All lightheartedness had escaped Brendons throat as he questioned me, an underlying tone of anxiousness welling up in his lungs. 

"John or Josh or something, I don't really remem-"

Quickly, without a word, Brendon spun the car sideways onto the grass lying next to the road. The tires slid and skipped underneath the tires as a loud screech blared from beneath us. The car quickly stopped and Brendon threw his shades off. 

"WHO THE HELL CAME INTO YOUR HOUSE??" Brendon screamed, eyes full of panic (get out). My heart was racing and tears started to lick my stormed eyes. Heartbeats were pouring out of my chest at a dangerous rate.

"Josh, I think..."

Brendon leaned back, hands over his eyes, a deep sigh releasing itself from his chest. "Damnit." He growled as he hit the car ceiling. "Did he have red hair?"

"Yes..." I timidly answered, banishing a crystal tear from my cheek. "I started to remember things that I didn't want to,"

Brendon hit the gas again, this time placing both hands expertly on each side of the wheel. 

"We have to go."

And without knowing where we were going, I placed my trust in the palms of Brendon's hands.