Chapter Forty-Four: The Surprise

Gabriella whispered softly to Elena, she balanced the little girl on her hip and smiled glad that things were peaceful right now; she couldn't wait to give her daughter a baby brother or sister. 

It was strange to think that she was going to have another baby so soon after having Elena but Gabriella didn't regret it, she adored her daughter and she would love this new baby no matter what. 

Joe had been pretty protective since he had discovered that she was pregnant, he wanted to keep his small family safe and to make up for what he had done to Gabriella when she had been pregnant with Elena. 

He had been terrible and Joe wasn't going to make the same mistake again, he was going to make sure that nothing stressed Gabriella out this time. 

Elena babbled happily in her mother's arms, her tiny hands held onto her mother's shoulder; she pouted occasionally at the sight of Gabriella's hair pulled up into a messy bun. 

The warm weather deterred Gabriella from wearing it down and Elena was not happy about that; she liked to tangle her fingers into the wavy locks that her mother had. 

Gabriella thought about what she had planned that evening, she was a little nervous and she hoped that Joe would like her plans; she wanted to surprise him after everything that he had done for her. 

He had been so understanding and Gabriella felt bad that she had worried so much about her past that she had allowed it to affect her future.

***

Gabriella tried to ease her nerves as she and Joe arrived at the restaurant that they were going to have dinner at; they'd had found a baby-sitter for Elena that they trusted while they were gone. 

It had been a while since it had been just the two of them but Gabriella was glad that they were having a quiet dinner together; she was sure that it would go well. 

Joe laced their fingers, he could see that his girlfriend was nerves about something and he hoped that everything was okay; he squeezed her hand comfortingly, he didn't want her freaking out over nothing.

The two were relieved that they had been able to enjoy their holiday in relative peace, they hadn't been disturbed by the press too much and Joe was thankful for that. 

He liked the fact that he was able to walk down the street without having to worry about someone following him or Gabriella; the last thing he wanted was any trouble. 

"Relax," Joe whispered tugging Gabriella close to him, he kissed her softly knowing that it was nice to have this time together and she looked simply beautiful in the red waterfall front jersey dress. 

He couldn't remember the last time, he had felt so relaxed and Joe was dreading returning to Manchester; it was no secret that everyone blamed him for England's exit from the Euros. 

Joe tried to avoid reading too much about what was said about him on social media, he had learnt years ago that nothing good could come from it. 

Gabriella smiled at him, her fingers moving to brush through his hair and she knew that once they returned to Manchester that things were going to pick up again. 

Joe would be expected to return to Manchester City for pre-season and he wasn't looking forward to it; he wanted to spend more time with Gabriella and Elena before he had to leave. 

He was sure that the trip wasn't going to be a long one but the idea of leaving Gabriella, Elena and the baby alone didn't feel right; he wanted to be home incase anything happened and that wasn't an option.

***

Sipping on her water, Gabriella tried to work out when would be the right time to surprise Joe; she had no idea how he was going to react and she feared that he would be unhappy with her. 

It was strange to think that she was actually going to do this after thinking for so long that she wasn't ready for this step; she felt a little worried that Joe would think she was trying to hurry things for him. 

"Gabby... is everything alright?" Joe asked setting down his knife and fork, she had been quiet since they had been seated and he was starting to worry. 

He had never seen Gabriella like this before and he wanted nothing more than to relax; he didn't like seeing her like this and he hoped that there was nothing wrong with the baby. 

"I'm fine," Gabriella insisted though she doubted that her voice helped, she wished that this wasn't freaking her out so much when she had something so special sitting in the bottom of her bag. 

She wondered if this was how Joe had felt when he had first asked her to marry him, Gabriella regretted it even more that she had refused and stated that she wasn't ready. 

Joe raised an eyebrow, he didn't believe her for a moment and he wished that she would just tell him already; he was starting to worry that something was really wrong. 

Taking a deep breath, Gabriella tried to wrap her head around what she was about to do; it was time to rip the plaster off and get this over with. 

"Will you marry me?" Gabriella blurted out, she paused for a moment knowing that was so not how she had planned to ask that question but a weight had been lifted from her shoulders. 

Joe stared at his girlfriend, he couldn't believe that those words had left her mouth and he almost felt a little cheated that she had gotten the jump on him with those words. 

Her engagement ring was actually sat in his pocket and he had been waiting until dessert to pop the question; he had noticed a change in Gabriella recently and he wanted to give proposing another go.

Gabriella wanted to slam her face into the table, she couldn't believe that was how she had asked Joe to marry her; it really wasn't what she had been planning in her own mind. 

Joe couldn't help but laugh, he shook his head amused before reaching into his pocket and producing the small black box that he had carefully hidden from her. 

It almost seemed strange that Gabriella had stolen the words right out of his mouth, he was thrilled to see that she was finally coming around to the idea of taking the next step with him. 

Joe guessed that the second pregnancy had changed things and he hoped that this was going to be okay; he carefully got up from his seat and moved to get down on one knee in front of Gabriella. 

He had been carrying this for months now and he was so happy that he was finally getting to use it, Joe couldn't imagine what was going to happen in the future for them. 

"I think you know the answer to that," Joe replied with a smile, he couldn't believe that this was how they were getting engaged; it would be one hell of a story to tell their family when they got home. 

Gabriella stared at the 9ct white gold blue topaz and diamond engagement ring that Joe had chosen for her, she couldn't believe that he had brought the engagement ring with him and she was relived how easily this had all worked out. 

Unable to hide the smile on her face, Gabriella watched as Joe carefully slipped the ring onto her finger; she certainly hadn't pictured this as the moment that she got engaged to him. 

Joe kissed Gabriella, he held her close knowing that nothing was going to ruin this for them now; he didn't care what the future held for them if he had Gabriella, Elena and the baby with him.