Chapter Twenty-Six: Back to Work

Taking a deep breath as she stared at herself in the mirror, Gabriella checked over her outfit for her first day back at work; she was a little nervous about going back but she knew that she would only be there for a couple of hours. 

It didn't feel real that she was going back so soon after Elena had been born, Gabriella knew that this was an important job and she couldn't let the company down. 

"You look beautiful," Joe murmured wrapping his arms around her waist, he kissed Gabriella's cheek and knew that he was a very lucky man. 

It was strange to see her ready for work but Joe knew that she had to think about her business, the last thing that she needed was her business to collapse after all the hard work she had put into it. 

Joe had the morning off from training and would be looking after Elena until Gabriella came home around lunch-time; he was even considering surprising his girlfriend for lunch. 

Everything had been so calm for them since Georgina had been sent to rehab, it was something that they had wanted since Elena had been born and Joe hoped that it would stay that way. 

"You sure this is okay?" Gabriella asked turning around to look at Joe, she felt bad for doing this so soon and if the client wasn't insisting on it being her then she wouldn't be going back to work so soon. 

Gabriella wanted to spend as much time at home with Elena as she could, the little girl was amazing and she didn't want to miss out on special moments with her daughter. 

"More than sure," Joe mumbled kissing Gabriella, he knew she was worried but she had no reason to be; she was doing the right thing and he would support her every step of the way.

***

Gabriella smoothed out her cobalt lace twist knot jersey top as she got to her feet, she couldn't believe how fast this had all come around; she was glad that not much had changed since she had left for maternity leave. 

The door to her office opened slowly and Gabriella felt her world collapse around her, she stared at the man that had entered her office wondering what the hell he was doing here; there was no way this could be happening. 

"Adam?" Gabriella breathed not wanting to believe that it was him, she hadn't seen him since the day before she was meant to marry him and he had jilted her at the altar for his assistant. 

Adam Stanley smiled at the sight of his former fiancée, he hadn't seen her since he had dumped her at the altar and from what he heard she had landed some footballer; he was a little impressed. 

Following Adam into the room was his former assistant, Jessica Lucas grinned at the sight of the woman that she wanted to organise their big day; she loved Adam so much and she didn't care how much their wedding cost. 

"It's great to see you Gabriella," Adam greeted moving to take a seat, he had been surprised when Jessica had told him who they were going to see; he had never thought that he would see her again. 

He had avoided spending time in Manchester after how he had ended things, he loved Jessica but he knew he'd get quite a bit of hate for what he had done to Gabriella. 

Taking a deep breath, Gabriella tried to control herself knowing that she was only doing this for her business; she moved to take a seat knowing that this wasn't going to be easy. 

Spending time with her cheating ex-fiancé and the woman he had jilted her at the altar for wasn't going to be easy but Gabriella was determined to be the bigger woman; she had Joe and Elena now and she couldn't have been happier.

"So what can I do for you both?" Gabriella asked politely, she rested her hands on the table wanting to get this meeting over with as soon as possible; she peeked at the picture that she had of Joe and Elena on her desk to calm herself. 

Jessica grinned taking Adam's hand, she peeked down at her engagement ring knowing that she was so happy that things had worked out for them in the end. 

It was a bit awkward asking her fiancé's ex to organise their wedding but Gabriella's wedding was the best of the best in the area. 

"We would like you to organise our wedding," Jessica insisted wanting the best wedding in the world, she knew what she wanted and Adam was happy to give her what she wanted; he wanted her to be happy. 

Gabriella slowly nodded her head, she tried not to react and she knew that things weren't going to be easy; she had no idea how she was going to pull this off after everything that had happened. 

It was silent in the office for a moment, Gabriella trying to sort through her mind about what she was going to do; she was doing this for her business since the wedding was going to be featured in OK magazine and it would make things easier for them. 

"What sort of wedding were you thinking about?" Gabriella asked deciding that being professional would be better here, she moved to get her note book so that she could make some notes and start planning out what the couple wanted. 

Jessica grinned thrilled that Gabriella was accepting to the fact that this was happening, she had been worried that she would refuse because of what had happened between the three of them. 

Staring at his ex-fiancée, Adam didn't say a word knowing that the next few months were certainly going to be interesting; he doubted that they were going to be simple for any of them.

***

"How was your meeting?" Joe asked when Gabriella returned home, he shifted his hold on Elena and walked into the hallway; he hadn't been expecting her home for another hour and he guessed her meeting had finished early. 

Setting her coat on the hanger, Gabriella took a deep breath trying to calm herself; she didn't want to cause any problems between them when things were going so well. 

"Gabby?" Joe asked spotting that her hands were shaking, he held Elena close and moved to make sure that she was okay; he had never seen her like this before and he didn't like that she seemed so upset right now. 

A million things ran through Joe's mind and he feared that something bad had happened while she was at work; he feared that things weren't going well with her business and he wished there was something that he could do to make it better. 

"What happened?" Joe demanded pulling her close with one arm, he rested his head against hers; he felt her arms slowly wrap around his waist and cuddle close. 

Gabriella sniffled not sure how this was going to work, she was going to have to pull herself together if she was going to pull this off; she had no other choice and she was doing this for all the hard work her friends had put in. 

Whispering comforting words in Gabriella's ear, Joe tried to figure out what might have happened while she was at work; he peeked at Elena knowing that they would handle this. 

Gabriella sniffled knowing that she had never told him what had happened between her and her ex, it was something she never thought she would have to face until now and there was no way she was going to be able to forget what Adam had done.