Chapter Five: Joe's Decision

Joe took a deep breath as he knocked on Gabriella's office door, he felt his hands shake knowing that he needed to talk to Gabriella; he still had no idea what he was going to do and he hadn't even told Georgina yet. 

Joe stepped into Gabriella's office, he looked around before his eyes landed on the woman that was carrying his child; he paused a little at the sight of the small bump that he could see through her geo print blouse. 

"Are you busy?" Joe asked clearing his throat, he wanted to talk to Gabriella and he knew that he needed to make his mind up and soon. 

Gabriella brushed some hair from her face, she stared at Joe a little surprised that he had come to see her and she knew that this could go either way; she had no idea what to expect from him anymore. 

"I was just about to head to a doctor's appointment," Gabriella revealed and she wasn't even sure what he wanted to say to her, the way he had been acting had made it clear that he didn't want to be involved in their baby's life. 

Joe felt his stomach turn a little, he had been looking at the last scan that she had given him a lot and he hadn't realised that she was due for another; he had no idea what to say to her. 

"You could come if you like," Gabriella offered seeing the look on Joe's face, he looked so torn and it made her feel a little bad for him; she knew that he was clearly struggling right now. 

Joe blinked at her words, hope filled him a little and he knew it was wrong but he couldn't resist the urge that he had to be there; he wanted to see his baby and experience something before it was cruel taken from him. 

"You wouldn't mind," Joe murmured, he hadn't been the best since Gabriella had told him that she was pregnant and he was sure to let her down again before their baby was even born. 

Gabriella shook her head, she wanted him to be involved this baby was just as much his as it was hers; she just wanted him to make up his mind if he was going to stay or not.

***

"It looks like you are going to have a little girl," the midwife said looking at the scan, she was pretty sure of the gender even if they would have to wait a little while longer to make sure that she was correct. 

Gabriella smiled at the news, she couldn't believe that she had found out so soon, she was only sixteen weeks and she had expected to wait for a couple more weeks before she found out. 

"A little girl," Joe breathed staring at the screen, he couldn't bring himself to look away from the image; this was his little girl and he already loved her so much. 

Gabriella sniffled, she couldn't believe this and she was so happy right now; she had no idea what to think right now; she was sure that her parents were going to be so happy that they could start decorating the spare room as a nursery. 

 "Yes. We'll know for certain at your next scan," the midwife reassured but she was quiet sure that there was no sign of a penis, it looked for certain that baby Evans was going to be a baby girl. 

Joe made a small noise, he couldn't wrap his head around this news and he knew that it was time that he made a decision on what he was going to do about this; he couldn't put it off any longer. 

Joe had known that Gabriella was pregnant now for about two months, he'd first thought that he could just pay her off and walk away, then he was confused about what he wanted but now he knew what he wanted to do. 

The midwife excused herself to get them a new picture of their scan leaving Joe and Gabriella alone, the door closed behind her as Gabriella sat up to wipe the gel from her stomach.

"I want to be involved," Joe said turning his attention to Gabriella, he had been a jerk and he knew that but seeing his baby like this, knowing that it was going to be a little girl; he couldn't walk away now that he knew all of this. 

Gabriella stared at Joe for a moment, she wasn't entirely sure that she had heard him right and she had no idea what to say to him at that moment; she wondered for a moment if she had imagined it since he had been so unsure before. 

"I want to be involved in her life," Joe insisted looking at the image on the screen, he hated that this was the first scan that he had attended and he should have been there for the others. 

Joe stared at the image and he promised himself that he wasn't going to let her down, he knew that things weren't going to be easy; he was going to have to tell Georgina that he had cheated on her and he knew that wasn't going to end well. 

"Are you sure?" Gabriella asked softly, she didn't want to get her hopes up and she knew that there was still a large chance that Joe would change his mind; he could still walk away and leave her with the baby. 

Joe nodded his head, he had a lot to make up for and the last two months hadn't been the best but he wasn't going to let her down; he was going to be a father and slowly that time was running down for them both. 

"I know you don't trust me. I don't blame you but I am going to be around for the baby," Joe said knowing that he had so much to make up for, he was going to make sure that he was in his daughter's life. 

Gabriella nodded her head, she didn't want anything from Joe and she hoped that he knew what he was doing; things were going to be hard and he would need to find a way of spending time with their daughter without anyone stopping them.

***

Georgina smiled to herself as she tidied around the house, she couldn't believe how well wedding planning was going and she had even found the dress that she had wanted; it was designer but she was sure that Joe wouldn't mind paying for it. 

Picking up the book that Joe had been fascinated with for the last few weeks, Georgina turned it over and read the back of it; she furrowed her brow wondering why Joe was so interested in reading it. 

Georgina sat down on the couch and opened the book, she tried to focus on the first page but she couldn't see what the appeal was; she sighed flicking through the pages before she hit upon the bookmark that Joe was using. 

Georgina pulled it out and tried to read the page where Joe had been reading, she didn't know why he liked this stupid book; she grumbled to herself and moved to put the bookmark back into the book when she noticed it wasn't a bookmark. 

Georgina blinked as she stared at the sonogram picture, it certainly wasn't hers and she had no idea why it was in her home; she opened and closed her mouth as Joe returned home. 

Walking into his house, Joe tried to think what he was going to tell Georgina; he knew that she would be upset but he had to do it and he couldn't back out. 

Stepping into the living room, Joe stopped at the sight of Georgina holding the last scan that Gabriella had given him; his stomach turned knowing that this wasn't how he had wanted her to find out. 

"Joe what is this?" Georgina asked turning to look at him, she stared at him with big eyes knowing that everything was going to change and she had no idea what he had been hiding from her during the last few weeks.