fourteen

6/5 - wednesday

Lydia's POV

It's currently four days since my scan, and I still hasn't talked to Joe. I've hung out with Zoe, Alfie, I've even hung out with Caspar but no matter how much they badgered me, I refused to talked to Joe unless he talked to me first.

"Why should I talk to him first if he won't go out of his way to talk to me?"

But it was today I finally heard from him.

text received from joe at 11:32am

Joe: hey lydia, can we talk?

Lydia: now you want to talk. sure, come over whenever

Joe: ok

He arrives almost ten minutes after sending that text, looking worse than I feel. He has bags under his eyes to match mine, and his hair's a mess.

But he still looks good.

I move aside as he walks into the room and soon enough the two of us are sitting around my dining table, neither talking. The silence is awkward and deafening, and it almost makes me scream.

"I can't stand this silence! Jesus Christ, Joe, if you want to say something, say it! You were the one who wanted to talk."

"I did, I do! I had a big speech prepared, I was going to say how stupid I was, how I shouldn't have said anything, but I can't remember anything, I can't form the right words to say how sorry I am."

"Well, that didn't sound too bad..." I say, testing the words. "How about starting with explaining why you flipped out like that?"

"Yeah, okay, that's probably a good place to start... So, Zoe's birthday, God, it was probably one of the best nights of my life. I may have been drunk out of my mind but I still remember everything about that night, I remember everything I felt," I scoff lightly. "Sounds unbelievable, I know, but it's true. I've been in love with you for as long as I can remember, since I was twelve or thirteen, you think I'd just forget a night like that? But then you told me you were pregnant, and that changed everything. I may have accepted it but you don't know how bad I felt. Here I was, enjoying the fact that I finally knew you had feelings for me and you were enjoying being sick. There's also the fact that we're both only eighteen... We're not together, we live together, not exactly fit for parenting. But, as I said, I accepted it, for your sake," He pauses for a few seconds before talking again. "But then the nurse said it was twins. I tried to be happy, I really did, but I couldn't. It was at that moment that everything became very real. The fact that this was really happening. I'm really going to be a dad at eighteen. My first thought was 'I didn't sign up for this' but you were right, I did. I had no right to blame you for something that was caused by both of us, as Caspar greatly told me. So, I'm really sorry, Lyd's. I regret what I said, and I need to take responsibility for the fact that I got you pregnant. I plan to be an amazing dad for these two kids, if you'll let me?"

I'm silent, taken aback by Joe's speech, trying to find the right words to follow what he said.

"Oh, uh, wow... How do I compete with that? Of course, Joe. I wouldn't want the babies to grow up without a dad. I'm sorry for anything I said the other day. I was just annoyed that you tried blame it on me so I tried to blame it on you. But it's equally both our faults. We should have been smarter, used protection. But we didn't, and we can't turn back the clock so I think we should try make the most of this."

"I think that's a very good idea. Do you know what you should do in the mean time?" Joe smirks, his hand grabbing mine.

"What's that?" I say, lacing my fingers through his.

"Go on a date with me?"

"I thought you'd never ask," I smirk back at him, pulling his face towards mine with my free hand. He leans forward and our lips find each other, fitting together perfectly. The kiss heats up quickly, our tongue's battling together. He pulls back, standing up and pulling me up too. He backs me against the wall, our lips mashing together once again. I run my hands through his soft hair as his grip my hips tightly. His lips pull back, then trail their way down to my neck, sucking softly to find my weak spot. A soft moan leaves my mouth as indication that he found it. I feel his smirk against my neck as he continues sucking. I move my hands from his hair to his chest, pushing them underneath his shirt. He winces at the cold of my hand before re-attaching our lips. I let my hands roam his torso, as his starts to pull my shirt up. But before we can go any further, a knock sounds out through the house.

I pull back from Joe, breathing heavy and I'm almost taken back by how good he looks. Messy hair, swollen lips. I fix myself a bit before walking towards the front door. Behind the door stands Zoe, a cheeky look on her face as she notices Joe standing in the kitchen.

"I see you two made up," She says, pointing to a spot on my neck. Confused, I pull my phone out of my pocket and look at my neck. On it rests a bruise-like mark.

"Joseph!" I call out, his eyes widening. "Why?!"

"Gotta mark my territory," His smirk returns and I glare at him. Zoe clears her throat.

"Sorry to break this up but I actuallu came here to ask you something. Would you like to be my maid of honour?"

"Of course!"

"The only problem is you'll be seven or eight months pregnant..."

"We'll just have to find a big dress," I say, winking at her.

------

That was kind of hard to write and took me a while but I like it and I hope you do too :)