twelve

2/5 - saturday

Lydia's POV

Today marked 5 weeks since Zoe's birthday. It also meant I had my first scan. I could finally see the baby.

Mum had left once the weekend was up, she had gone home and told dad. He wasn't too pleased but accepted it eventually.

Unfortunately, mum and dad couldn't come down for the scan but Zoe and Joe were both tagging along.

It's currently 11:23am, and Zoe and I are in the car travelling to the doctors. The sun shines brightly through the car window but a chill still rests in the air. The radio plays hits that are popular right now, currently playing Colors by Halsey. I sing quietly along to the music as Zoe concentrates on getting us there in one piece.

Once we arrive at the doctors, Joe's standing outside by the door, phone in hand. Slowly I walk up to home, Zoe trailing behind me. He looks up just as I reach him, and he smiles softly.

"Hey," He gives me a small hug before we walk inside.

It's warm inside, heat pump cranked up. Zoe and I make our way to the fronts, and a woman with an unusally scrunched face greets us, her smile warm.

"Hello lovelies, what are we here for today?"

"I'm here for my 5 week scan?"

"And are you two both the mothers?" She asks.

"No," Zoe laughs, eyes crinkling. "I'm the Aunty/best friend," She turns around, beckoning Joe over. He walks slowly towards us, hand resting around my waist. "This is the dad."

"Okay, what's your name?" She asks, eyes landing on me.

"Lydia Samuels, I made an appointment for 11:30?" She types quickly into the computer before nodding her head.

"Yes, your name is here. If you want to just wait, I'll let the nurse know you're here," I nod before sitting down in a soft chair, Joe and Zoe on either side. We make small talk between the three of us before my name is called.

I walk slowly behind a nurse with dark curls, gripping Joe's hand in mine. This room is a lot cooler and a lot smaller than in main room. The lights are a lot dimmer and it takes my eyes awhile to adjust to the darkness. While my eyes are adjusting, the nurse leads me over to a bed, and beside the bed sits a special TV as well as all the ultrasound equipment.

"So, if you want just lie down on this bed, your two friends can sit on the seats beside you, I'll get everything ready and we can get started," I nod before lying down on the bed, Joe on the seat closest to my head and the ultrasound machine, Zoe on the seat farther away. The nurse shuffles around, sorting a few things out, before sitting on the seat on the opposite side. She pulls a bottle off gel off the table beside her, indicating for me to pull my shirt up. I slide it up, revealing my belly. "This will be a little cold," She says before squeezing a pile on the belly. I shiver slightly at the feel.

As she picks up a device to see the baby, it all of a sudden becomes very real. I'm really pregnant. I'm here to see my baby. Joe squeezes my hand softly and Zoe rubs my leg as the lady pushes the device along my belly where she placed the gel. She moves it slowly at first, trying to locate the baby, before landing on two dots.

"Where you aware you're having twins?" My eyes widen as Joe's grip gets tighter.

"Er... no? This is my first scan..." I rub my thumb along Joe's hand, as his grip's still tight.

"Well, you are, I can't tell the gender yet, as it's too early," She points out where the babies are. "Is this your first prenancy?"

"Yes, I'm only 18 years old..."

"That means you probably won't start showing for another 8-12 weeks, but it could be earlier or later, depending on you and the babies. Would you like some photos?"

"Yes, please," She wipes the gel off my belly as I sit up, pulling my shirt down. Joe sits there, a shocked expression still resting on his face. I reach my hand out to rub his shoulder in comfort, but he just roughly pulls it back. Instead of starting a fight, I just roll my eyes and follow Zoe, who looks a lot happier then Joe and I, and the nurse out of the room to the reception. Joe follows behind me, his mood gone south.

Once were outside, I pull Joe off to the side away from people. Zoe stands politely off by her car, waiting for me.

"What's your problem, Joe?" I ask, trying not to get mad.

"Nothing Lydia, I'm fine."

"No you're not, Joe, I know you."

"Fine! You know what the problem is? I didn't sign up for this! Twins?!"

"You signed up for this the moment we slept together. It's not my fault it's twins, maybe you should have used a condom!"

"So it's my fault youre knocked up?"

"That is not what I was saying! I'm just saying don't blame me for the fact that I'm pregnant with twins. I couldn't help it! If I could go back and erase that night then I would because 1.) We wouldn't be in this mess and 2.) I'd still be happy."

"So, what you're saying is that you're not happy with me?"

"We aren't even together, Joe, we're just tied together because of the babies. Be honest, if we had both been sober that night, would you have kissed me?" He stands silently, twiddling his thumbs together. "Didn't think so..." I roll my eyes before walking towards Zoe's car and hopping in, letting the warmth take over me.

"Are you okay, Lyds? I know Joe can be a bit of a dick but he doesn't mean it," I roll my eyes, looking out the window as she starts the car.

"Sounded pretty meaningful..."