Chapter 5: Master May I?

Start from the beginning

"What that?" asked Vyn.

"Nothing, I was just screwing around," said Olivia as she played a quick chord arpeggio on her guitar. "Is that—"

"The Investor," said Charles. "Nice to see you've found a team to work with Ms. Rivera." The Mnemonic Device flew close to Vyn, slowly circling around the curious alien. Vyn tried following the drone with his eyes only for it to fly behind him.

"What that?" asked Vyn as the drone circled around in front of him.

"An exceptionally noisy fly," answered Charles.

"Focus Investor," dictated Mnemosyne.

"Of course, heaven forbid a conversation break out," quipped Charles. "Vyn? I'm going to run some very basic tests on you. Do you understand?" Vyn nodded at Charles, who removed a short metal wand from his coat and slowly waved it in front of the alien.

"Analyzing all known detectable bacteria, microbes, pathogens and trace elements in the immediate vicinity," said Mnemosyne as Charles's wand hummed softly. "The asklepian is reporting nothing unusual. Proceed to establishing vocal contact."

"Vyn, how are you this evening?" in response, Vyn just looked at Charles.

"He has only a tenuous grasp of our language," informed Daryl.

"I see. Vyn. Are you in pain? Any discomfort?" Charles motioned to the bruises on Vyn's face, which Vyn touched in response.

"Small pain," he answered. "Everything heavy."

"Heavy?" said Charles.

"I have a theory," said Mnemosyne. "It is possible he is experiencing discomfort due to Earth's gravity."

"Vyn, your planet, things are lighter? Less heavy at home?"

"Si. Yes," said Vyn.

"Where is your home? Your planet?"

"Across the universe," said Vyn with unusual clarity.

"Pools of sorrow, waves of joy." Everyone turned and looked at Olivia. "Sorry."

"Are drifting through my opened mind." Everyone turned back to Vyn.

"Possessing and..." prompted Olivia.

"Caressing me," finished Vyn.

"Am I missing something?" asked Nick.

"They are reciting song lyrics," clarified Mnemosyne.

"Yeah, he knows Across the Universe," said Olivia.

"He did say he listened to Earth's broadcasts," informed Daryl.

"Well be careful you don't sing too loud or we'll have someone sending us a letter demanding we pay for the usage rights."

"Cute Nick," said Daryl.

"I'm serious, the people who own that are probably the same ones who refused the request to put Here Comes the Sun on the record commissioned for the Voyager mission," informed Nick. "If they wouldn't share one song for the benefit of representing humanity to the rest of the universe then they'd probably also sue an alien planet for pirating their music."

"Pirate?" asked a confused Vyn. "What pirate?"

"Irrelevant," said Mnemosyne as his drone hovered closer to Vyn. "Count Nutus said you learned our language from Earth broadcasts. Is this true?"

"Si. Yes. I number one Earth speak expert."

"Obviously," quipped Nick.

"I suggest we forego extensive questioning until I can assemble our linguistic specialists. With permission, I recommend administrating a blood and saliva test." Charles removed a small metal rod with a sponge-like tip from the wand.