Chapter 5: Boyfriends and Slamming faces

As I walk inside the enormous school, I'm taken back to my freshman year. It seems like yesterday I was running down these halls trying to make it to class on time, or going to the library with May and Liam to study before school started. I can't explain the emotion I feel right now. 

I realize that I've missed this place, and it makes me happy to be back. But then again, I've missed out on so much, I barely know anyone anymore. I feel like a complete outsider as I arrive by the main office and spot May talking to a tall skinny guy I don't recognize. 

A few seconds later, May spots me and waves. As I get closer, she says, "Sage! How does it feel to be back?" 

I smile at her. "It's..." I pause, trying to explain how I'm feeling. "cool." I lamely finish. 

Sage smiles back at me and introduces me to the guy standing next to her. "Sage, this is Harry, my boyfriend of three months."

I take a better look at him. He's a bit lanky, with light brown hair, and wears thick glasses. I have to admit, he's definitely pulling off the geek look. May said his name was Harry? Hmm, sounds familiar somehow. Maybe I once had a class with him or something. Whatever, I can't possibly remember everyone. "Hi Harry, I'm Sage. Nice to meet you."

He shoots me a confused look and seems oddly hurt but shakes it off after a second and says, "Nice to meet you too, May has been telling me all about you." 

I wonder why he had that puzzled look on his face, it's probably because of the way I look. I mean, I used to be a total nerd. All I cared about was school and flute. But, the second I moved to Chicago, I ditched the glasses, dropped the flute, and changed my wardrobe. Don't get me wrong, I still care about school just as much, I just decided to be a little more social. Every once in a while I do miss playing flute though, music was such a big part of my life.

The first bell rings and Harry gives May a quick kiss before heading off to class. "Okay, let's go pick up your schedule quickly." May tells me and we walk into the main office.

After the secretary hands me my schedule, May looks over my shoulder and squeals. "Yay! We have second, third, and fifth period together!"

I open my mouth to respond but May cuts me off. "Aww, it looks like I have fourth period lunch and you have sixth."

I immediately frown, May is one of the only people I know. Well, besides Liam, but I bet he sits by the jocks and that would just be awkward. Okay, don't freak out Sage, you'll just have to find someone who has sixth period lunch with you who is semi-nice. No biggie, except if you don't find anyone you'll be forced to sit alone like a loner the whole year. I start breathing really fast and soon see May shooting me a pity look.

"Hey, it's okay, Sage. I'm sure you'll meet some new people. You probably remember a good majority of them anyway." She gives me a reassuring smile.

"You're right, I'm not worried." I say, lying completely. 

May starts walking me to class as the second bell rings, indicating that there's a minute left to get to class. She immediately gets a worried look. 

"May, thank you so much for helping me out. I'm pretty sure I can figure out where my classroom is, no need for you to be late."

She looks at me doubtfully, "Are you su-"

I cut her off, "Completely. See you in second period." 

"Thanks, Sage. See you then." She turns around and I think shes about to leave when she faces me once again. "Hey, I just wanted to know that I'm really glad that your back." She says and before I have a chance to respond, she turns and runs the other direction to class. 

I'm left there, smiling to myself, when I realize I have approximately one minute to find my classroom. I quickly look down at the schedule in my hand. Let's see.. first period... AP English, Ms. Hoffel, Room E216. I try to remember what part of school the E classrooms are in but I draw a blank. I start looking around frantically when I remember to be logical. Well, May was walking me in this direction so i'll start walking straight. I look at the nearest classroom and see that it starts with a D. Not quite sure what to think of this, I keep walking straight. 

At this point, the halls were completely empty and just as I started to wonder when the bell was going to ring, I hear a loud ring and realize that I'm late to my first class on my first day of school. After a few more minutes of rapidly walking down the hallway I finally find my classroom, the ironic part of it all was that it was right down the hall from where May dropped me off. My idiotic self didn't realize that the D classrooms were on the right side of the hallway and the E classrooms were on the left. 

I stand in front of the classroom for a few seconds and eventually work up the nerve to open the door, hoping that Ms. Hoffel was an understanding person.

You know that awkward moment when the whole class is completely silent and the door opens and everyone looks up? Yeah? Then you can imagine how I'm feeling right now. Great first impression, Sage.

Instead of facing the stares of kids I used to know, I look at my teacher. She looks like she's in her forty's, she's wearing a tight bun and glasses, and she's currently shooting daggers at me. I open my mouth to say something, but nothing comes out. I finally get out, "Uh... Hi, I'm Sage Cooper and I just moved here. Well, moved back here. See, I used to go here as a freshman, but then we moved and-" I stop when I see her hold up her hand. 

"I don't need excuses Ms. Cooper, pick up the assignment and take a seat." I wish I could say that I was one of those students that didn't care about what their teachers say, but I'm totally not. I was a good student and no matter how hard I tried not to take their words to heart, I always end up feeling bad. This time however, I don't feel bad at all. I don't know if it's because of my already hard day or because it's my time of the month, but I currently want to punch her right in the nose. Take her by the bun and slam her face down on the desk. Of course I couldn't do this because then everyone would just call me Rage Sage all year. Wouldn't want that to happen.

After taking the assignment from her, I look back towards the class and see everyone staring at me. I spot Hayden sitting in the back corner, shooting me a smirk, I decide to look for an open seat as far from him as possible. I quickly spot two open seats, one in the very front by Ms. Hoffel and one in the corner right next to Hayden. I start walking towards the one in the front but am stopped short when I see the boy sitting in the seat next to it. I immediately recognize him as Colby Rattington, sexist douche bag and notorious for his one night stands. He looks me up and down and gets an impressed smile on his face. I was not about to deal with that for a whole year. But then again, was Hayden any better? I see Colby licking his lips sexually at me and immediately switch directions to sit by Hayden. 

"Shortcake, couldn't keep away huh?" He asks as I sit down, leaning back in his seat and folding his arms. I then notice his defined muscles but look up before he could catch me staring.

"It was lesser of the two evils." I say, gesturing toward Colby. 

He shakes his head and gives me a knowing smile as he continues working on the assignment.

I look down at my own paper and realize that they're currently reviewing the structure of an essay. I breath a sigh of relief. At least one thing is easy for me today, I think to myself.